• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am going to have to buy new tires for my car because the pirelli's suck in snow. So should i get snow tires for the winter and keep the p6's for the non snowy months? Or get new all season tires, and if so your suggestions on tires. Thanks

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
if the ones you already have are summers, get winter tires

·
Wootsauce!
8,593 Posts
get some nice all season tires

i recommend getting the conti extreme contact tires.

their rated ultra high perf. all season = truth
You have got to be kidding me.

:facepalm:

All season tires have a harder tread compound than snow/winter tires.

The softer compound rubber mixed with aggresive tread is what makes Winter tires absolutely necessary when you live in an area that recieves any decent amount of snow during the winter season.

Also, winter tires will remain softer at colder temps than all season tires will at the same temp. This is also where all seasons FAIL.

All season tread + harder compound + snow = FAIL

There is no way around it.

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

Here are the tires that I run.

General Altimax Arctic

(These pics are from last year) I have these on again this year (just no pics yet) and they are still at almost 90% tread.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Being from Alaska and driving in snow 50% of the year if you are somewhere with lots of compounded snow or even loose snow, snow tires are the only way to go. All seasons you can get away but you will never have the traction you will with snow tires.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
xfe i was looking at the General tires because their cheaper than blizzaks but my dad seems to think that all seasons do fine in the snow and on ice/slush snow tires will be just as bad as all seasons. so he needs persuading on the reason why snow tires are needed

·
Registered
379 Posts
xfe i was looking at the General tires because their cheaper than blizzaks but my dad seems to think that all seasons do fine in the snow and on ice/slush snow tires will be just as bad as all seasons. so he needs persuading on the reason why snow tires are needed
Your dad should do some research.

Snow tires will be far superior on ice/slush.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well i know that lol i have actually done research but my dad says to just spend the money on tires you can use all the time i don't feel that way

·
Registered
379 Posts
well i know that lol i have actually done research but my dad says to just spend the money on tires you can use all the time i don't feel that way
Well if thats how you feel then go and buy some snow tires already lol.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Yeah definitely keep the other tires for better weather and get some snow tires, we just got a lot of snow here in ohio and my Yokohama tires absolutely fail in the snow, I will be getting aftermarket wheels with summer tires and putting snow tires on my stock 17s for the winter

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well ya see i need some help from my dad and i was hoping i could get more information on them to tell him or if maybe a set of all seasons would be better i wanted info from people who have had their balts through winters since i haven't

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.