Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

I'm not going through another winter on all-season tires so I'm looking at some snow wheel sets as suggested by TireRack. The recommended package consists of 14" wheels with tires of size 195/70R14. Perhaps this would look strange on the Cobalt (4-lug pattern) but the price tag is appealing. Will these wheels actually fit the car?

Thanks in advance.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
As long as it is a 4x100 bolt pattern.

I wonder about clearing the front brakes though...

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
should be fine. unless yourve upgraded the brakes they should clear fine

·
Registered
720 Posts
From what I've read, you really shouldn't go with a smaller wheel than 15". I don't remember the reasoning (you would think it wouldn't matter since you can go up in size or down in size on an SS...they put 16" winter wheels/tires)...but I do remember reading that it's not recommended to go below the 15" size...I don't think it has to do with fitment.

Anyway, I bought my car in June 07 and in the fall of 07 I bought an aftermarket set of steel wheels and Hankook winter ipike w407 tires from Discount Tire Direct...I ended up paying $260 shipped to my door for mounted and balanced tires with steel wheels. They had a deal going on at the time...buy a set of wheels and get $100, but a set of tires get $100 off...I took advantage of both offers. I haven't seen another offer the same since then.

I'll tell you what though, I would never have trusted my OEM Continental tires to the winter...they were horrible in wet and dry, didn't want to imagine winter driving with them...I was so happy I went with winter tires and wheels.

My suggestion is to keep to 195 or narrower tires...since in winter you want as narrow as possible to "plow" through the snow rather than a large patch of contact area like dry traction.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd prefer to buy a set of 15" steel wheels. There are a number of places that sell them for the Cobalt, but I've not found a place that sells a complete winter steel wheel package that can be delivered to my door step. I'll probably go with cheap 15" alloys shod with good snow tires.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I had a set of 14 inch wheels on my car last year. They were close to the breaks but fit just fine!

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
They definitely have to look funky, that's for sure!

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Here was my car on 14's I was also lowered on SSC springs

And a little vid of me burning the tires off them lol

Its funny how much faster little/light weight wheels make the car!

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Haha - those are soooo cuuuuute!! Hahahaha.

They don't look half bad, actually.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I splurged on some winter wheels. I went with 15 inch Borbet wheels (LV4) and Dunlop Graspic DS3 tires (195 / 60R15). These ride so much nicer than my stock 16" alloys and Pirelli tires. The ride is very quiet and smooth. Steering feels precise, and acceleration is improved. Gas mileage also shot up to over 40 mpg on the highway. Typically I average 36 mpg with careful driving. I haven't tried any hard cornering. I suspect the tires will be a bit mushy in the bends but who knows. Can't wait for winter...well, okay I can wait ^_^

Nice job Dunlop.

·
Registered
462 Posts
15 is the smallest rim size I would recommend going with, usually winter tires got soft sidewalls and as you know the smaller the rim the bigger the sidewall, now you don't want to have a big ass soft sidewalls because then handling is going to feel terrible

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
15 is the smallest rim size I would recommend going with, usually winter tires got soft sidewalls and as you know the smaller the rim the bigger the sidewall, now you don't want to have a big ass soft sidewalls because then handling is going to feel terrible
Yup. If you read my last post...I bought and put on a set of 15 inch wheels with "soft" snow tires and... well, pretty much everything else is better than my stock 16 inch wheels with Pirelli 4 season tires. Haven't really tried any fast corners and I'm sure that the snow tires will probably be squishy in that situation. So far I'm delighted with the Dunlop's.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.