Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want something that adds the most horsepower, is least likely to void warranty, costs the most reasonable and also sounds the best.

So what are your suggestions? personal stories?

What brand?

CAI? or short ram?

and what is a "drop in" ?

New to all of this so I just want to make sure I am getting the best bang for the buck here.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
my first performance mod was the K&N short ram intake. the 2.2 intake wasn't available so i got the 2.4 one. i lovee i did the installation myself and it was very easy. worth every penny.
and a drop in filter is just replacing the stock air filter with a different filter such as K&N

·
Registered
496 Posts
I want something that adds the most horsepower, is least likely to void warranty, costs the most reasonable and also sounds the best.

So what are your suggestions? personal stories?

What brand?

CAI? or short ram?

and what is a "drop in" ?

New to all of this so I just want to make sure I am getting the best bang for the buck here.
here's some info on CAI and SRI if youre looking at the differences:

http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/engine-mods/10583-intake-injen-vs-k-n-vs-aem.html

im personally going to get a K&N SRI, a bit more noise/growl than a CAI, low end power, basically eliminates chance of hydrolocking, etc.

·
Registered
496 Posts
i would get the injen if i were you. there seem to be a lot of problems getting the k&n right now. and the injen would be MY other choice. and with it you can switch between short ram and cold air. i love my k&n, but wish i had the option.
ive been looking at the injens...but i noticed they dont come w/ a heat shield. could i add one on or how does that work?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my first performance mod was the K&N short ram intake. the 2.2 intake wasn't available so i got the 2.4 one. i lovee i did the installation myself and it was very easy. worth every penny.
and a drop in filter is just replacing the stock air filter with a different filter such as K&N

How do you get the 2.4 to fit on the 2.2? is there a performance difference? Because i looked and i could also only find the 2.4 I just figured it was out of luck.

·
Sneezing Daily
1,155 Posts
ive been looking at the injens...but i noticed they dont come w/ a heat shield. could i add one on or how does that work?
you should be fine and not need a heat shield for it, because the filter goes and leads into your wheel well, when you have it for the CAI, and filter is then in the engine compartment when you have a short ram. Basically though, unless your running a turbo or something on your car, that would cause a lot of extra heat, you should be fine without it.

·
Registered
496 Posts
you should be fine and not need a heat shield for it, because the filter goes and leads into your wheel well, when you have it for the CAI, and filter is then in the engine compartment when you have a short ram. Basically though, unless your running a turbo or something on your car, that would cause a lot of extra heat, you should be fine without it.
well i was looking at SRI over a CAI. but even the SRI intake would be fine w/o a heat shield? oh and i dont have a turbo, so extreme heat wont be an issue

·
Registered
496 Posts
How do you get the 2.4 to fit on the 2.2? is there a performance difference? Because i looked and i could also only find the 2.4 I just figured it was out of luck.
the 2.4 intake will fit on a 2.2L engine just fine since the engine layout is very similar. it might be a little off, but everything should bolt up. and the performance is basically the same for the 2.4 and 2.2 intakes. so you can totally get a 2.4 and be fine

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats awesome! I did end up finding the K&N 2.2 Typhoon online for about 280 bucks though. I suppose Ill go with that or the 2.4. Which ever I can find cheapest. How much horsepower does it seem to add? The stats for the 2.2 say about 6.6. This accurate?

·
Registered
610 Posts
its not going to be exactly 6.6hp but you will feel a slight gain in power

·
Registered
1,969 Posts

there is no fitment difference.
the engine is pretty much the same and therefore it fits.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Thats awesome! I did end up finding the K&N 2.2 Typhoon online for about 280 bucks though. I suppose Ill go with that or the 2.4. Which ever I can find cheapest. How much horsepower does it seem to add? The stats for the 2.2 say about 6.6. This accurate?
better throttle response too...or so i hear...i still havent invested in one yet. so what ive been saying is from what ive read on the forums

oh and where did you find the 2.2 for 280 bucks? the best ive found is 290...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
better throttle response too...or so i hear...i still havent invested in one yet. so what ive been saying is from what ive read on the forums

oh and where did you find the 2.2 for 280 bucks? the best ive found is 290...
Just kept scowering Ebay every now and then you find one for 280, my buddy got one for 275 (not bullshit either i watched him buy it)

You can also find used ones for like 150. But I dont know I would want a used part like that.

Either way I looked around and apparently the 2.4 does seem to perform slightly better on the 2.2 engine. Kind of makes sense I suppose. Because it is all SLIGHTLY larger right?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Just kept scowering Ebay every now and then you find one for 280, my buddy got one for 275 (not bullshit either i watched him buy it)

You can also find used ones for like 150. But I dont know I would want a used part like that.

Either way I looked around and apparently the 2.4 does seem to perform slightly better on the 2.2 engine. Kind of makes sense I suppose. Because it is all SLIGHTLY larger right?
ah idk bout Ebay personally...you better be careful and make sure you get all the parts. as far as used, you might have to ask around (like OBZ) but the only actual "used" part of the air intake should be the filter. the metal tubing shouldnt really be affected, but dont take my word for it

SLIGHTLY is the right word, but you probably wouldnt notice a difference, or much of one

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmmmmmm So your saying ebay is not really all that reliable? I mean the one I looked at was from a legit ebay business but i could see where an individual seller could be dangerous.

So are there any other really good intakes out there? I mean everyone talks to highly of K&N i never really considered a different brand.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hmmmmmm So your saying ebay is not really all that reliable? I mean the one I looked at was from a legit ebay business but i could see where an individual seller could be dangerous.

So are there any other really good intakes out there? I mean everyone talks to highly of K&N i never really considered a different brand.
well i got turned off from ebay by OBZ....he made me think twice. i actually found a K&N SRI for 60 bucks cheaper than elsewhere. but if its a legit ebay business, you might be on to something

Injen does make a good intake (again, so I hear). the cool thing about the Injen one is it is complete cold air (CCA). so it can be converted between a cold air and short ram. and Injen uses a dry filter whereas K&N uses a wet (oiled) filter. its just a matter of preference. although there are rumors that if you over oil the wet filters, the oil will come off and damage the mass airflow sensor. but ive looked at the K&N website, and they say thats untrue...but still not sure. just dont over oil it and youll be good to go

·
Registered
496 Posts
1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.