Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please tell me if this is ok I ya sitting very close but ride is smooth and quite better than before.
I don’t feel nothing goin in and out if the drive way

·
Registered
73 Posts
They should be ok. If they aren’t rubbing while moving your ok. There is no movement between the lower spring seat on the strut and front knuckle to where the wheel at attached. So hitting bumps will not cause the tire to contact the strut. On a side note, expect the car to be a bit slower accelerating and for the fuel mileage to drop several mpgs. Also if you’ve got original lower control arms, expect to have to replace them. Larger wheels will cause more wear and tear on the suspension.

·
Registered
960 Posts
There should be no movement that will allow it to contact the strut, but if you feel it is too close you can always a 5MM spacer to push it out that little bit extra. Any spacer more than 5MM it is recommended to get extended lug studs for.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey since you are able to post pics, let’s see the car with the new wheels. I kind of want to go with larger wheels, but I do like my high fuel mileage and decent acceleration. Although going up a couple sizes won’t be too terrible. I would really like to get the Cobalt SS 17s or the similar looking ones from the HHR. Although I’ll have to do a 5 lug hub and brake swap as mine has the 4 lug pattern. At least the car came with aluminum wheels to begin with.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Cody which 17's are you referring to? 05-08 2.4 SS/Sport? The 05-07 Supercharged had a similar wheel to the 2.4 but they were 18s. Also the 08-10 Cobalt SS and HHR SS wheels were 18's and IMO looked much better than the older style SS wheels. Not to mention I think the 08-10 SS wheels were lighter then 05-07 S wheels, less rotational mass..... As a side note in my Turbo SS on stock 18's with 235/40s, I see 30+MPG regularly and still have 340WHP and 355 TQ. Proper tire selection on larger wheels is crucial to keeping overall diameter the same so milage will not change much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts