Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and I have a couple that I like and the price is right, buuuut I'm a noob still and know little...haha. So here I am, looking to those of you who would/may know. Ones I have looked into: Tsudo, Megan, and a couple others. Any input is greatly appreciated. I have a guy here in AZ that can get me great deals on parts/acc. and my fiance's dad is a mechanic so I have someone to walk me through the mounting process...thanks in advance!

-Jesse

·
Banned
292 Posts
there is a tsudo group buy going on right now, i've ordered mine of ebay though the suppliers are behind through tsudo so there is no telling when you would get the exhaust i've been waiting 2 weeks thus far.

·
Banned
292 Posts
i like the magnaflow as well and their is a cheaper alternative on the magnaflow too mandrelbentexhaustsystems.com i believe has the same type setup with cheaper metal that will rust in probably 2 years but hey its cheaper up front lol.

i am getting the tsudo out the door for 178 so i can't complain and i personally think its the best sounding exhaust, i know some people don't agree, but i'll tell you more so once i get it put on.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah im lookin more at either the tsudo or the megan for price and sound.

do you know if the tsudo will work on a 2.4L? i have noticed that all the ones i have seen online say for 2.2L balts...j/w

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
yeah im lookin more at either the tsudo or the megan for price and sound.

do you know if the tsudo will work on a 2.4L? i have noticed that all the ones i have seen online say for 2.2L balts...j/w
Considering that all the GMPP exhausts work on all the models I would venture to say that any exhaust listed for a 2.2 will fit any other cobalt model.

·
Banned
292 Posts
i'm fairly sure that any exhaust will work on any cobalt, the ones that say for the ss only i'm not sure what exactly is different maybe the flange? i doubt or larger pipe sizing, but that doesn't mean much really..

the megan is okay but i think the tsudo sounds better.
-----Added 3 Dec 2008 at 01:43:36-----
and for your info the megan drift spec will cock out sideways but thats to give it the drift style exhaust so if your into that you may want to go that route. some do some don't like it.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
i'm fairly sure that any exhaust will work on any cobalt, the ones that say for the ss only i'm not sure what exactly is different maybe the flange? i doubt or larger pipe sizing, but that doesn't mean much really..
the exhaust for the SS's are the same and will bolt up. the difference is the piping size. they are mostly offered in 2.5" compared to 2.25"

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
was talking to my father in law who is a mechanic of 25yrs and says that you gotta be careful when playin with the catalytic converter. when you go in and install a tsudo or whatever, do you leave the stock c.c or install a diff one? sry...ima noob! haha...

i mentioned to him what IMADREAMER said on pg 1 about getting a good muffler and putting money into headers and he agreed with that more then messing with the whole exhaust system. He knows a lot but more about BMW's and older cars..."not in the loop with all this new $hit," as he said...

...and im leaning towards building my cobalt for show more then the strip, but want to have some of the same highlights...nice sounding exhaust, fast-ish, and look great...

-thanks!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
was talking to my father in law who is a mechanic of 25yrs and says that you gotta be careful when playin with the catalytic converter. when you go in and install a tsudo or whatever, do you leave the stock c.c or install a diff one? sry...ima noob! haha...
Cat-Back exhaust systems attach behind the cat. The stock Cat is left alone.

·
Registered
673 Posts

i mentioned to him what IMADREAMER said on pg 1 about getting a good muffler and putting money into headers and he agreed with that more then messing with the whole exhaust system. He knows a lot but more about BMW's and older cars..."not in the loop with all this new $hit," as he said...

...and im leaning towards building my cobalt for show more then the strip, but want to have some of the same highlights...nice sounding exhaust, fast-ish, and look great...

-thanks!

If you look at exhaust systems logically it just makes sense. If you free up restriction at the back it does little to no good because you still have restriction at the front of the system. For the same price of a cat back you can get a header and dp which will alter the sound and actually make horsepower. IMO it's silly to go changing cat backs when they are just noise makers and add no real horsepower. But that's just me, to each their own.

·
Banned
292 Posts
If you look at exhaust systems logically it just makes sense. If you free up restriction at the back it does little to no good because you still have restriction at the front of the system. For the same price of a cat back you can get a header and dp which will alter the sound and actually make horsepower. IMO it's silly to go changing cat backs when they are just noise makers and add no real horsepower. But that's just me, to each their own.
this is true but however when you have a 2.2 that stock exhaust just looks so ugly haha and i only paid 178 for my catback system... not sure were i can get a header and dp for 178 bucks?

i'm probably going to be looking at a shorty header dp at probably a 2.5" after i get this catback on.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
and unless your one of the guys with an SS, it makes sense to change the whole exhaust. the stock muffler sucks and is very heavy and restrictive. and the stock piping is a joke. its small. so while doing a header/DP combo first is prob better it is still important to upgrade the rest of your exhaust including your cat

·
Banned
292 Posts
i'll be going to either a magnaflow high flow cat or a test pipe don't think they make a test pipe for the cobalt to my knowledge so i may just have to see if i can find one that is right length with the same flanges and see if i can make it work.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.