Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as the title states last night my boss backed into my car with his truck. Got some quotes today and they range from $6000-$7000 to repair it. He scrapped my drives side door and bent it in so it needs a new skin. Also the panel right behind the door is dented in very badly and needs to be replaced according to 4 out of the 5 shops that I went to. The 5th shop said that they could get the dent out and save the panel. Boss is paying for the repairs himself to stop his rates from going through the roof ( he's wrote off a car and his wife damaged another one in the last 3 months ). So looks like I am going to be without my Balt for about 2 weeks when I take it in :(. On the plus side though he's paying for a rental for me that I get to pick out, so hopefully I can get something half nice for the 2 weeks.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Sounds like a good boos...I mean boss :cheesy:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haha I noticed that I had put down boos after I posted :toung: lol. Yeah my boss is being good about it. I decided on the shop now I have to make an appointment tomorrow. Hopefully they can get me in soon.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
what kinda truck did he hit u with? An was there any damage done to his?
Ya its a good thing that he is covering everything rather it been a hit an run then u would be pulling out ur hair by the sound of the damage.

·
Registered
194 Posts
its all about commission... same reason why mechanics at dealerships don't want to tell their bosses to cover the work under warranty... bigger commission for non-warranty work..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He was driving a Chevy Avalanche. Not a scratch left on his truck. As for the raise that may be out of the question but next set of hockey tickets that he has to give away I am thinking they end up in my hands. As for the shop the one I decided to go with quoted me at $5700 and told me they would supply a rental for free. However when my boss called to pay for it with his credit card they said that the price could go up by 30% (which would make it about $7400) and that the rental would cost $35 a day, which would end up costing about $500 for the 2 weeks my car was in the shop. So Monday I have to go down to the shop and try and sort out why they are telling me one thing and then 5 minutes later telling my boss something completely different.

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
Because they gave you a cash price and now your boss wants to use a credit card may be one reason. when you use a credit card you have to pay a 3% processing fee, but that is a huge difference between what they told you and your boss.

I also think you need to get more quotes, I would laugh in someones face if they told me $5700 let alone over $7000 to replace a door and rear fender panel.
Take the 7 grand and add 2 grand too it and go buy a same color brand new XFE and swap the door and Panels on both, one car fixed and now a new daily driver XFE to beat the shit out of that needs some body work, That is what I would do, the only other cost you would endure is having a glass guy come out to remove the glass and then reinstall it. you and 2 buddies could swap everything in 2 days easy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I actually got 4 quotes done and this place gave me the cheapest one. The other ones were $6000, $6600 and $7300. It may end up going through his insurance yet and if that does depending on the costs they may consider it a write off. Anyone know how a write off works, do they buy me a car of the same year around the same mileage, or do they give me the book value of the car? Just wondering because I paid $14000 for the car last September ( I paid $2000 for bumper to bumper warranty for a year). So if they were to come to me and only give me like $10000 for the car I would be out money especially considering I am still paying the loan off for the car.

·
Registered
382 Posts
He was driving a Chevy Avalanche. Not a scratch left on his truck. As for the raise that may be out of the question but next set of hockey tickets that he has to give away I am thinking they end up in my hands. As for the shop the one I decided to go with quoted me at $5700 and told me they would supply a rental for free. However when my boss called to pay for it with his credit card they said that the price could go up by 30% (which would make it about $7400) and that the rental would cost $35 a day, which would end up costing about $500 for the 2 weeks my car was in the shop. So Monday I have to go down to the shop and try and sort out why they are telling me one thing and then 5 minutes later telling my boss something completely different.
Sounds like they wanted cash, would not claim it on their taxes, and wanted an "under the table job". (which is illegal)

Paying with a credit card forces them to report the income. Basically the 30% increase is the "income tax" they will have to pay.

·
Registered
931 Posts
i feel yer pain, some ahole i work with just put a ram truck threw my brand new ss bumper like a week ago, ill be out a car for 3-4 weeks

·
Registered
197 Posts
I actually got 4 quotes done and this place gave me the cheapest one. The other ones were $6000, $6600 and $7300. It may end up going through his insurance yet and if that does depending on the costs they may consider it a write off. Anyone know how a write off works, do they buy me a car of the same year around the same mileage, or do they give me the book value of the car? Just wondering because I paid $14000 for the car last September ( I paid $2000 for bumper to bumper warranty for a year). So if they were to come to me and only give me like $10000 for the car I would be out money especially considering I am still paying the loan off for the car.
to answer your question if your car is ever written off you get paid what it is worth, not what you paid for it or what you have into it. most times they degrade the value of the car and give you way less money than it is actually worth

Example:

-brand new cobalt purchased 1 year ago for $12,000

-value of car in "excellent condition" would be around $8,000 if it's low mileage and has options

-someone hits you and totals your cobalt. Insurance will end up paying you somewhere around $6,000

·
Registered
490 Posts
You should have got a written quote thats always what I did, and you never get screwed. And your getting ripped to get that fixed around here would be $2000 max.

·
Registered
195 Posts
That is absolutely crazy that they would charge that much to fix that. That's well over half the value of the car just to replace the door and rear panel and paint it. Then again, it's your bosses money and not yours.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
i can see why they bump the price so high, i got a small dent behind my passenger door on the panel of my coupe. I wanna say that they guy said like 3k or something and i just laughed and asky why. He said its because the panel is one very long an big piece that goes from the back all the way to the front where it connects with the front fender. An then went on to say they would repaint the spot since it chipped it and in order to make sure the color was same they wanted to paint the entire panel!!!! so i just said no thanks ill fix it later when i get the entire car repainted and they can pop the very small bump out and repaint the entire car.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.