Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, since replacing my front and rear speakers with Alpine Type-S', I've gotten a better job which allows me to afford a complete sound system in my car.

I'm not a fan of any Alpine reciever, but I've decided on this reciever from Pioneer: Pioneer AVH-P3200BT DVD receiver at Crutchfield Signature

My speakers in the front are rated for 80 RMS, the rear ones have a rating of 85 RMS.
I'm getting a set of subs for christmas, so I'm not sure what they'll be. What I'm wondering is, what kind of amp I'll need for the power rating of my speakers plus subs, and if there's anything else I'll need to add to the system to enhance the listening experience.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Pioneer decks are great, especially the double din ones. I loved my old pioneer deck. lots of options on it, and it could take a beating. Never overheated, never reacted in the cold, like my current clarion screen does now once in a while.

As for amplifying your alpine speakers, I would suggest an amp rated at 100wRMS x 4, which would be more than enough. You want the extra power, since under-powering them would decrease speaker life and be a little less clear at mid and high volumes.

What kind of bass are you looking for? Heavy, boomy, air-moving bass (SPL) or tight, responsive, sound quality oriented bass (SQ)?

If you want tons of bass, I would suggest two 12" subs. there are a lot of good brands out there. Depends on your budget.

If you want tighter bass and more for SQ, go with a powerful, single 10" or maybe double 10's if you want a bit more bass.
Basically cone area is king when it comes to bass (more for SPL). Other factors are also important, but it all comes down to what you want out of your system.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm looking for the tight responsive sound quality bass. I don't really like the loud and in your face bass a lot of people have, I'm really looking for superior quality.

And that 100wRMS x 4 amp.... does that power my sub(s) too? As I said, I'm not sure what I'm getting. I think it will probably be a 10" though.

·
Cornier Than Ethanol
866 Posts
No. The 100wRMS x 4 was just for the interior speakers. You're not going to be able to find a single amp that will work for both purposes, without it being too powerful for your interior speakers or too weak for your subs. Best bet is to go with a second amp, and if you're just getting a single 10", go with a monoblock (single channel).

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Actually there are 5-channel amps which power speakers as well as subs without problem, but they are very expensive. Best bet is to go with a powerful 10" subwoofer (500-1000RMS or more if you wish) and a 4-channel amp for your speakers. Hit me up if you want brand advice etc...for the sub check out Fi car audio's ssd subs or even the fi Q sub in 10".

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
There are many options with a new deck, I have sold allmost every brand over the last 13 years, my top 4 for quality and not having issues are Pioneer, Clarion, Ecplise (just went out of business) and Alpine.
For subs as said above if you want tight responsive SQ base go with a single 10 or 12, plus it saves space.
For amp options you have allot of choices you can go with a 4 channel for your interiors and a monoblock for your sub, you can use a five channel and just adjust the gains (one advantage to this is you only have one amp instead of two). Or you can do the budget special which is buy a sub and a good 4 channel amp, run the rear deck speakers off of the head unit, and run the fronts and sub off of the amp, run the front off of channel 1 and 2 and bridge channels 3 and 4 for the sub. I personally prefer front imaging when setting up system, so for me anyways, running the rear speakers off of the deck to just provide fill is ok for me.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Here's a good idea have a 4-channel (pending on amp spec) to run it all. 2 channels for the speakers in parellal and 2 bridged for the sub. Or Dustin's idea is great too for I might get a pair of compnents and a sealed box sub soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.