Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay under the steering column on the black cylinder, the service manual called it the "electronic power steering control motor." It's like an amber/ brown fluid. What is it, and how long do I have until my power steering dies? It's not a lot but a slow leak...

·
Registered
35 Posts
So knowing the PS is speed sensitive in these cars...would the electric motor have a seperated geared drive that uses different ratios at different speeds? Is it oily fluid? Try pulling the motor and checking the seals, it's probably a bad seal and not a cracked reservoir.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
ummm, hello, anyone home????

our cars dont use hydraulic fluids for PS, it's all electric.

is it under the hood, ir inside the car, under the hood, then it could more than likely brake fluid

·
Registered
142 Posts
Check the TSB's: There is one regarding replacing the entire steering column for various reasons other than the listed "thump" noise. I just took mine in with 38,300 miles on it and they replaced my Intermediate shaft and column for free. My intermediate shaft was making a noise due to the inadequate lubrication from the manufacturer which resulted in premature wear. But they pulled up a bunch more. When all was said and done the column, shaft, front/rear brakes were all replaced. I've also had the struts and knuckles replaced up front, rear window for non working grids on the RW defogger, 2 tires (premature wear), and a few other things I can't think of right now. All of it was done for free, so use up your warranty while you have a chance if you got one. Any TSB's, go in and *****. =)

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Check the TSB's: There is one regarding replacing the entire steering column for various reasons other than the listed "thump" noise. I just took mine in with 38,300 miles on it and they replaced my Intermediate shaft and column for free. My intermediate shaft was making a noise due to the inadequate lubrication from the manufacturer which resulted in premature wear. But they pulled up a bunch more. When all was said and done the column, shaft, front/rear brakes were all replaced. I've also had the struts and knuckles replaced up front, rear window for non working grids on the RW defogger, 2 tires (premature wear), and a few other things I can't think of right now. All of it was done for free, so use up your warranty while you have a chance if you got one. Any TSB's, go in and *****. =)
my dealership was a douchebag, my motormount busted due to a pothole, and they wouldnt replace it:blink: took it to the city, and they blamed a manufacturer's defect, but the dealership classed it as damage due to road surface, so either way, no one took the blame, so i had to pay for it:sad:

·
Sneezing Daily
1,155 Posts
Check the TSB's: There is one regarding replacing the entire steering column for various reasons other than the listed "thump" noise. But they pulled up a bunch more. I just took mine in with 38,300 miles on it and they replaced my Intermediate shaft and column for free. My intermediate shaft was making a noise due to the inadequate lubrication from the manufacturer which resulted in premature wear.=)
I had the same thing happen with my car and a couple (5) of other people that own a cobalt that this happened too. Maybe GM should start a recall!:nuts:

·
Registered
142 Posts
yeah, I agree on the recall. It would be wise for them (but) as stated from the Dealership (It's not dangerous, so we just put it under the TSB's).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.