Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so this is what i want to know....

On one of the recent nights i went out for the weekend car meets everyone there decided that we would do imports VS Domestic tuner. Me personally i have a cobalt TC so they looked at me an called me the bastard child and said i could pick what side i wanted 2 be on. I asked them why come and they said...

Because your a 4cl Turbo... I was like do u see that bowtie?? I do think it says Chevy..

Honestly i could care less and it was all in good humor this happend and i just kept jumping teams all night but im curious what u all think.

Cobalt SS/SC: Domestic tuner or Possible Tuner
Cobalt SS/TC: Domestic tuner or Possible Tuner
Cobalt LT and up "work done 2 it..": Domestic tuner or Possible Tuner

Just bored at work an thinkin about the past....

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Lol having trouble fitting in? What cruise do you go on? The sat. night one at moanaloa Shopping center?

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lol having trouble fitting in? What cruise do you go on? The sat. night one at moanaloa Shopping center?
Naw man i go down 2 the NEX remember... tryed 2 get all u 2 go. I dont go out anymore seeing how my car is in storage now. LMAO!

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
I get the same thing whenever I go to bike events on my Buell XB. Some of the old school people think its Asian. I have to point out the HD castings on the cylinder heads to show them it is actually American.

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
In storage? what happened? You on deployment?

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 PM ----------

And I usually couldn't make it out...my gf wasn't having it :p

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In storage? what happened? You on deployment?

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 PM ----------

And I usually couldn't make it out...my gf wasn't having it :p
SShhhhh..... im on a mission

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
lol

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
I'm with Finn, I didn't buy my XB to "fit in," I wanted something better, and the same with the car. So if someone asks you where you "fit in," let 'em stay up all night worrying about it.

·
Registered
379 Posts
lol, u mad?

Kidding aside, I'd say domestic tuner/domestic sport compact all the way.

The japanese did not invent the turbocharged engine, they just popularized it. So what if you have a turbo 4 cyl, that doesn't make your car a bastard child.

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
Kidding aside, I'd say domestic tuner/domestic sport compact all the way.

The japanese did not invent the turbocharged engine, they just popularized it. So what if you have a turbo 4 cyl, that doesn't make your car a bastard child.
True that, and most people do not know that the first production automobiles with turbochargers were the Olds Cutlass and the Chevy Corvair in 62.

·
Registered
674 Posts
LOL Corvair Turbo! that was a joke... If only chevy did their research and made it more of a 50/50 distribution, it maybe would have been a good car, but the steering was crap because of it. The turbo added maybe 20 HP, because the engine was all air cooled, they couldn't do much for power.

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
LOL Corvair Turbo! that was a joke... If only chevy did their research and made it more of a 50/50 distribution, it maybe would have been a good car, but the steering was crap because of it. The turbo added maybe 20 HP, because the engine was all air cooled, they couldn't do much for power.
The Corvair had a 40 front 60 rear distribution and while braking went to 50/50 which is pretty good for a rear engine car especially at that time period. The steering issues if any (issues meaning by opinion) had nothing to do with the weight distribution, it was caused by the rear swing axle suspension, which is basically a single sideways leaf, and could be easily corrected with a duel leaf setup which was available at that time. The Corvair was later switched to an independent rear suspension which was the same as used in the corvette. The switch to the turbo and an additional 20 cubic inches netted 100 HP. And adding a turbo has nothing to do with a motor being air or liquid cooled, Air cooled motors in both VW and Gm products at that time were all aluminum and can withstand 500+ * F temps. Chevy did do their research this was the early sixty's and no one else had a 180hp inline turbo car. Their only flaw was their looks.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanx guys for posting! I just wanted 2 start a conversation. I could care less what ppl think about my car as was said previously. I got my car 4 me not any1 else and dont care what ppl think my car is ITS MINES!!

·
Registered
931 Posts
Domestic tuner man!! I attend all of the tuner meets around Philly and the surrounding area every week and never had a problem fitting in...

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
The Corvair's main problem was exhaust leaking into the passenger compartment. I remember my dad telling me stories about many road trips in different Corvairs and having to keep windows open, even in PA winters, because of almost passing out from the exhaust fumes.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.