Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, over the last 3 months orso I had a interesting time with my 06 ss sc. My thermostat went,replaced that - nearing 140k miles so figured ****it I'll do a bunch of maintenance. New wheel bearing hub assemblies (timken), complete control arms, sway bar bushings, inner and outer tie rod ends, end links, struts etc. I also decide after doing a lot of browsing here,that it wouldn't be a bad idea to do the timing and balance chains. So, I do all that, I turn my car over and it is shaking like it wants to fall apart. I've got all the zzp stage 2engine and trans mounts. I went back into my timing cover and now notice a tiny bit of slack in my balance chain. After meticulous inspection, I was sent a brand new DEFECTIVE balance chain tensioner. I put (another) new one in I tested to be sure works. Put everything back together - and yes I am using all new tty bolts that call for it. Turn it over, same crazy vibration. I decide to drop my trans and check the clutch, suprised no springs flew out for how chipped and bulging the spring retainers were. So I got a little hope, thinking I may have finally foundthe problem. Get a stage 3 south bend kit from zzp as well as all the put new parts stuff (clutch line,main seal, clutch elbow etc). Turn it over same vibration. I went to test drive and check the mail a few blocks down, thinking it's beenso long since I've actually driven the car that maybe the race mounts are just throwing me off.THE VIBRATION DISAPPEARS WHEN I PUSH THE CLUTCH IN. So I'm pretty much out of steam here, on the verge of pretty much being depressed with this thing. I double checked with stock mounts and without torque dampener before all of this when the vibration started, with no change. Stage 3 zzp bolts on, zzp pcm. No check engine lights. I've changed my exhaust manifold gasket as well as the other exhaust cat back gaskets. Also ordered 1coil pack and a new harmonic balancer to rule out the packs and the pulley. About out of ideas here guys. I'm not a mechanic, I'm a fisherman by trade, and lava took my livelihood from me here in hawaii or I would've just paid a mechanic to do it. Anyway lmk fellas thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
When you had the valve cover off did you re-check your timing marks?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, I did the timing components at the same time to make it easier on myself. Exhaust 10 and intake 2, everything to spec. Granted, this was before I realized I had a defective balance chain tensioner. Had a friend of mine who's atleast a licensed mechanic helping me

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes, I did the timing components at the same time to make it easier on myself. Exhaust 10 and intake 2, everything to spec. Granted, this was before I realized I had a defective balance chain tensioner. Had a friend of mine who's atleast a licensed mechanic helping me
sorry, didnt answer your question. Yes, I double checked it, I went in and out of the timing cover like 3 or 4 different times. One was because I was hoping I did something wrong, double checked everything, torqued to spec. Had to change my valve cover gasket, so like quadruple checked it was in the right position.

·
Registered
66 Posts
the balance shafts needs to be timed also
intake balance shaft arrow at 12
exhaust balance shaft arrow at 6
crankshaft gear (double line) at 6
water pump doesn't matter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.