Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well it's not done yet but it's closer. I just wanted to throw some pictures up to show off what I've done. Let me know what you think and of course suggestions are always welcome.

What's done:
carbon fiber fuse box lid
all caps are polished billet aluminum, the oil cap has a carbon fiber insert
MRZ strut bar
MRZ coil cover with carbon fiber insert
MRZ fuse box cover with carbon fiber insert
MRZ strut tower caps
polished valve cover

Of course the big eye sore is the supercharger. I started polishing it but then I had to put it back on the car because I needed to use the car again so polishing stopped for now. I've since then debated on whether I should finish polishing or not or if I should just powder coat it.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Eye sore? uhhh I'll take it off ur hands haha

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok one more quick update since the caps don't show up well in those pics I thought I post up a closer pic of them. When I get home tonight I will post up a pic of the engine bay outside because since the ones I've already posted are kind of dark.

·
Registered
136 Posts
You certainly gave MRZ some business, eh? Looks good man, real clean.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah Mathiue at MRZ should be able to pay his mortgage a time or two because of me. lol

·
Registered
575 Posts
45 bucks a cap right?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Looks good man! i put some small LED strobes hidden in my engine bay, looks pretty good at night but itd look alot better with a sc or turbo. ha

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
IMA, you make me look bad, oh wait, i do that all of my own accord:?

very smooth , keep it up!!!

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys I appreciate the comments. There's a lot of blood, sweat, and beers that went into that area of the car. The valve cover alone was about 12 hours of work, I've probably got 3-4 into the supercharger and as you can see it's ALONG way from being done. The carbon fiber fuse box was a particular pain in the butt because it was the first carbon fiber piece I did that had a lot of complex curves. So it took a couple tries to get it right and when you are working with carbon fiber mistakes aren't cheap. lol

Anyway, as I said I just need to do something with the supercharger and I think the engine bay is done. Then it's on to the stack of performance goodies sitting at my house right now. :)

·
Registered
768 Posts
Thanks guys I appreciate the comments. There's a lot of blood, sweat, and beers that went into that area of the car. The valve cover alone was about 12 hours of work, I've probably got 3-4 into the supercharger and as you can see it's ALONG way from being done. The carbon fiber fuse box was a particular pain in the butt because it was the first carbon fiber piece I did that had a lot of complex curves. So it took a couple tries to get it right and when you are working with carbon fiber mistakes aren't cheap. lol

Anyway, as I said I just need to do something with the supercharger and I think the engine bay is done. Then it's on to the stack of performance goodies sitting at my house right now. :)
how'd you do the fuse box? did you buy actual carbon fiber? where did you pick that up at?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
how'd you do the fuse box? did you buy actual carbon fiber? where did you pick that up at?
Yeah it's real carbon fiber. I got it from US Composite. Fiberglass , Epoxy , Composites, Carbon Fiber - U.S. Composites, Inc.

This is what it looks like raw.

It honestly isn't that hard to do. I highly suggest starting out with something very simple and flat to get the basic idea down. You basically need carbon fiber, adhesive, clear resin (I use surfboard resin), sand paper, and a lot of time. lol

You start by cleaning the surface you want to wrap. Then you apply adhesive then the carbon fiber. You do about an inch at a time. Then slowly work your way across the whole surface. Then after the CF is down and the adhesive has totally dried you start applying resin. This gives it the rigidity. Then after you have enough resin that you've totally covered the cf, you sand it lightly and apply more resin. Then you repeat until you have a decent depth. After that you clear coat it and enjoy.

If there is enough interest I could probably do a how to on it, but it would be a little while before I can get to it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.