Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting some vibration at around 55mph and up. There's not a whole lot. It doesn't get worse or better with braking. I can feel a little bit in the steering wheel. It may be the tires, but they all look decent. I will be getting new ones rather soon though. Any other ideas?

2005 cobalt base model coupe

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
wheel weight prob fell off. get the balance checked

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Or uneven tire wear, if it's an older tire.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Could be off tire tread, like toe in or possibly warped rotors...ensure lug nuts are torqued to 100 ft lbs and no cheating with torque sticks, their not safe for any vehicle, regardless of a "would be" mechanic at firestone or discount tire you go to.

You can have a few other items in mind...hit your brakes over 35 mph and if your steering wheel shakes along with brake pedal, you have there brake judder and not good...you can also have static imbalance on your tires, excessive toe in or out on lower outer tie rod.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Oh is that all?

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lol.. yeah what he said^. OK, it only does it over 55ish. It does it whether I'm braking or not, but stops as speed decreases. I can feel it in the steering wheel, but barely. It's not a shaking, but a minor vibrating. It's not bad at all , but it is enough for me to notice. Steering is nice and firm though. I'll go out and check the lugs.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
You also have to put in mind, many of GM users with the electric assist steering have noticed vibrations during highway driving, so its not uncommon.

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh OK. I checked all the lugs and they are within spec. Everything looks good underneath. No rust or anything that looks bad, but I'm not a mechanic and don't know what to look for. Nothing loose. I am planning on getting wheels and tires kinda soon so maybe that will fix it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.