Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to change my spark plugs today and I got the old ones out and put the new ones in and I went to torque the first one and the plug broke. The threads are stuck in the head and the whole plug plug came over and I can see all the way through the hole. What do I do?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
So the bolt part is not assessable so you can back it out?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I would suggest a screw extractor if you can find one that is big enough, but make sure no metal pieces fall in the engine
or maybe 'J.B.WELD' the plug back in the threaded part and unscrew it...good luck

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Took a second look, now I see. There is a tool that spreads out, opposite of an adjustable wrench. Maybe try that. Its possible you might have to drill it out but that would mean metal shavings in the engine.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I'd try removing it first, otherwise get a drill bit just smaller than the thread and start drilling. Another problem I just thought about is that you will need to use oil on the bit. Safe bet to just do an oil change after. I had a similar problem with a different bolt and i broke 3 bits, yours should be soft metal though.

·
Super Moderator
11,820 Posts
There is a tool for this called easy out. This happens to FORD trucks all the time. Moneyman should know the exact size needed. It will not leave any filings plus I think it's magnetic anyways.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I never had luck with those, then again I didn't have a need for them a lot.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
To be honest I would use an easy out aswell, on the 2004-2008 ford v8's the plugs snap off like this almost every single time. They've actually made a new type of spark plug just for those that is like a solid piece stainless plug that is supposed to prevent it from happening.

Ford Made a tool although I dont know if the threads would be the same on the cobalts that threads into the threads and then pushes the porcelin bit down, then you just screw a self extractor into the metal part of the broken plug and pull it out. Of course I made that sound easy, Still took me about 5 hours to do plugs on a 2005 f-150.

If I was going to size the extractor I would take the porcelin that you have an grab a bit slightly bigger. Either way its going to be no fun. Worst case you pull the head and that means you may aswell get a port and polish done and *cough* cams :) *cough*

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
can you get us a picture down where the plug broke? Theres a machine shop near me that builds engines. They say if they cant get the plug out without taking off the head then the leak tests and planing the head and I forget the other thing they do is free. You probably wont find the kind of deal though.

A extractor should work as the plugs dont go in @500ft.lbs or anything. You could try a right hand threaded lag bolt or something, it'll go tighter as you loosen.

I'm just tossing out ideas.

---------- Post added at 10:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 AM ----------

what kind of plug was it? i'd like to know so i dont buy them :p

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got it out guys. I used an easy out. They were ngk g power plugs. It was my fault for breaking it... I read the torque specs wrong and instead of doing them at 7-14 ft/lb I did 20 ft/ lb. so it was my fault not the plugs fault.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Use the ol' elbow torque wrench next time. Glad to hear you removed it

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.