Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi People,

Figured I should buy a spare donut "real" tire for my new cobalt (16" wheels, LT1).So I got one used , 4 lug, and cleaned it after trying it out on an actual wheel. Dropped it into the wheel well, which is now used to store the miricle in a can goo for flats. Then, it hit me: Where is the dang car jack????! None in there at all!

Is there one available ifn one wants to buy one, guys? Could go to the junkyard again to search. But once I get one, where do you bolt it as I didnt see any such bracket down there.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
The car jack is in the tire compartment on top of the tire..... Mine is anyways. Its one of those cheep japaneese style jacks that fold under pressure though. I dont have a spare in my car anymore due to my custom trunk enclosure or I would take a pic for you.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
his might not have come with one though. You can probably get one cheap from a wrecker

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Buy a decent bottle jack from Sears or Autozone(small size) and put that in the corner of your trunk.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The spare tire is a option on the Cobalt.
They come stranded with a compressor and can of goo.

On mine there is a bolt in the middle where my tire and jack slide over then is held with a nut on top.
Did you mean standard or stranded? I wouldn't want to be stranded w/ a compressor and a can of goo.

When I bought my car, I told the sales guy I needed a real tire (okay, the donut) and the jack. He pulled one from a used Cobalt and put it in mine, and took the compressor/goo thingy and put it in the other.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
A cheap bottle jack will work. I didn't save the scissor jack from the G5... I oddly enough decided to put it and the spare donut back in about a month before I rolled it.

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
yeah why would you have a jack if your car didn't come with a spare. you don't need a jack to put fix a goop flat in the tire. like the others said. check junk yards and you can find one cheap.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all here who offered help/advice. I managed to get a donut for $35. Now, for a jack.....will a harbor frieght (thats frIEght, not frEIght, hehe) bottle jack be OK, I mean, I recall those have just a pin head of a contact surface and heck, I dont want to push up on a spot on the car and have a hole pop into the body, eh? The junkyard wants $35 for a used jack....I feel thats too high, eh?

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
If yuo put the jack inthe right place per the owners manual, evena bottle jacck will work. If you still are not sure, get a piece of 2x4 or2x2 and cut a small slot down the middle and plae that between the jack and the car at the lip to make a better fit. I would go with a better quality jack than Harbor Freight, they may not be able to handle the weight. Good example: my 2000 Dodge Ram factory bottle jack when the jack was extending under load, the piston would start bending, I even tried one out of a 1 ton truck and it did same thing.

Quality is everything, spend a little more for good stuff.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
A bottle jack is fine. Don't use it on the pinch welds, the floor pan, or the oil pan.

A good jack point for the front is the engine cradle and for the rear is where the control arms are bolted to the unibody.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.