Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've never changed spark plugs before and I'm thinking I'd like to. I've heard that upgrading spark plugs alone can be a decent performance upgrade. I'm just curious which plugs would be the "best" bang for my buck. My engine is pretty much stock, no tune, just intake and cat-back.

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

Also I'm trying to think of things to increase my throttle response...ideas?

·
Registered
840 Posts
My buddy just got NGK irridiums for his SRT4 and the idle seems to be much more smooth and consistant. The throttle response improved a tiny bit, but for $30 it's a decent upgrade. Oh, and you might get a fraction of a % better mpg.

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll pick up a set of those then :) any other ideas on ways to improve throttle response?

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm trying to hold off on my trifecta tune until I finis my exhaust (want header/dp) I was just trying to think of things I could do to my engine that might help a little bit

·
Registered
21 Posts
looking to get iridium spark plugs, want NGK but nobody sells them around here all I can find is Autolife and AC Delco. Where do yall get the NGK other than online? Are the AC Delco ones just as good for normal driving?

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts
Factory plugs are iridium...there's no reason to change to other plugs if you're not F/I...

Not to mention, iridium plugs last a LONG time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just pulled out my factory plugs and they were nasty looking they were all corroded on the outside. I'm only at 55k and my car is a 09, something tells me those factory plugs were dirt compared to the iridium ones to begin with. The ones I pulled out were ac delco but the one of the numbers were different than my ac delco iridium plugs. If they last so long I don't think they would be corroded. Not to mention the bolt that tightens the spark plug was crap too I ended up breaking one by tightening it, just decided to buy 4 new bolts that were probably alot better than the factory stuff. My car wasn't running that good to begin with but after changing the spark plugs and the oil to pennzoil ultra, putting in some zmax and fuel cleaner its not running a ton better.

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts
Ahaha...zmax...:laugh:

Yeah, my plugs at 50k looked just fine...I mean, the electrode was a tad dark from spark knocking, but the plugs looked to be in very good shape.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
oorrr you can just ask me and Ill tell you the number for the 1 step colder plugs.. :p..I've changed the spark plugs also

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts
oorrr you can just ask me and Ill tell you the number for the 1 step colder plugs.. :p..I've changed the spark plugs also
It's like telephone, I tell you, you tell someone, they tell someone else.

Hopefully it's a good connection and someone doesn't mess up the numbers. :laugh:

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
lol...well I have it on text so I can just forward it....if its wrong then it's your fault..lol

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts
Haha, well it's definitely not wrong, so there will be no wrongdoing from your point either. :laugh:

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts
Will running cooler spark plugs make much difference?
Only if you're spark knocking - so basically, if you're not supercharged or turbocharged, you shouldn't be spark knocking...

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So if no F/I there's no benefit to getting new plugs?

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts
Not really.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.