Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The speedometer backlight on my 2007 Cobalt LT is out. The fuel and tach gauges are still backlit, just not the speedometer. I don't think it is a fuse problem, because it would be the whole cluster that would be dark, correct? Did some quick Googling on speedometer-specific light problems, with no success. Hoping someone here has seen this before. Are the bulbs in behind the cluster easy enough to replace myself? I see a couple screws around the cluster that I almost took off yesterday to start poking around... I just don't want to get in too deep before knowing what kind of trouble I can potentially get into!

Don't know if this is related or not, but I also noticed recently that the driver side half of the trunk brake light does not light up. Passenger side is fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2010 Cobalt and am experiencing almost exact same issue. My tail lights also don't work nor do the little marker lights on the bottom of the tail light assembly. Replaced all bulbs with new and still no tail lights. Brakes and turn indicators work fine. The PRK Lamp fuse blows (10A) every time I turn on the headlights.

Did you resolve your issues?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 2010 Cobalt and am experiencing almost exact same issue. My tail lights also don't work nor do the little marker lights on the bottom of the tail light assembly. Replaced all bulbs with new and still no tail lights. Brakes and turn indicators work fine. The PRK Lamp fuse blows (10A) every time I turn on the headlights.

Did you resolve your issues?
No, haven't tried to tackle the cluster light yet. I found a YouTube vid on replacing the trunk light bar bulbs. Very easy. I have a week off work coming up where I plan to open up the cluster to get at the speedometer back light. I'll let you know if I have any success.

I don't know about your issue. Sounds like a short circuit or crossed wire somewhere. I am definitely not the right person to give electrical advice, though!

·
Registered
129 Posts
The gauge cluster uses LED bulbs, I am almost positive about that. This would be the first time I’ve heard of a bulb failure in the cobalt gauge cluster, it’s possible you have a faulty gauge cluster or a burnt out bulb. You can send it out for repair, there is a whole cottage industry that repairs GM gauge clusters.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey again,

Finally getting around to fixing this issue from a year ago. Both little LED's behind the Speedometer are actually out now, so I can't see it at all after dark. Just have to go with the flow of traffic (if there is any) and hope I don't get caught speeding too much!

I pulled the instrument cluster out today and took a look for what I need (pic attached). I followed this YouTube vid to take everything apart -
- it was super helpful.

I am not very handy with a soldering iron, so I am wondering if it would be quicker for me to just drive down to pick 'n pull and grab a new cluster assembly for $40.

My question is, are these assembly's just a plug-and-play thing? I called the local dealership, and of course they want hundreds of dollars for a new assembly, and an hour for "programming" it. I think I should be able to plug it in and go though, right? Anyone ever swapped an entire instrument assembly?

Thanks!
Ceiling Room Architecture Interior design Arch

·
Registered
565 Posts
I don’t know about the lights in the gauge cluster, as I haven’t had a chance to take mine out yet. I have in some of my other cars and replaced bulbs or added leds. However the lights in my hvac controls are only working on half the panel. I’m guessing they are similar in design and integrated into the circuit board and have to be disassembled to be replaced. Might have to just replace the panel. I had wanted to change the lights to amber like my old bmw. Easier to see at night IMO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hope this doesn't break any of the forum rules. This isn't an ad, I just wanted to give a shout out to the gentleman that replaced my LED bulbs on my instrument cluster.

Prospeedo has been repairing digital speedometers and instrument clusters for over 20 years. I found him last fall when he was still in Calgary, but it looks like he has since moved a little north of Calgary. Still does same-day turn-around on parts that are mailed to him.

·
Registered
565 Posts
There used to be a guy here where I live that would rebuild gauge clusters. Was the dad of a guy I went to school with. But I haven’t seen him in years now.

You used to be able to get parts at places like Radio Shack, unfortunately its no longer in business. So sourcing the small parts for electronic repairs has to be done online. I have done some repairs on interior lighting in the past being able to solder in new leds or bulbs.

I have seen quite a few custom gauge clusters where different color leds were installed by replacing the originals on the circuit board. My old Mercedes W126 S-class had removable bulbs that the sockets actually unscrewed and you could put T5 based bulbs in, like a 194 bulb. When Sylvania came out with the Zevo leds, I converted everything in the car that I could. Now my Cobalt had mostly Sylvania Zevo leds installed in the exterior lights, except for the headlights which are Hikari Ultras that use Phillips ZES leds.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Give a shout out to Coby7 he is over at the Trax forum as Traxy. He can fix your dash in short order and is one of the forum mods. You can also find him as clusterfobea on the gmail.com email account

·
Registered
565 Posts
Good to know man. He always seemed to know his stuff. So I’d definitely trust the guy as he’s been around a long time here and other like forums. Hopefully I won’t need any done on my car. But I do on many customer’s vehicles. Been waiting about 2 months dicking around with O’Reillys, Ford dealership, and a few other places that can’t seem to get the right 6 gauge cluster for an ‘06 Mustang we have. Oil pressure gauge is screwed up so customer is afraid to drive it. While the pressure is just fine as I can check with my scanner, instead of having to use an analog test gauge.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Good to know man. He always seemed to know his stuff. So I’d definitely trust the guy as he’s been around a long time here and other like forums. Hopefully I won’t need any done on my car. But I do on many customer’s vehicles. Been waiting about 2 months dicking around with O’Reillys, Ford dealership, and a few other places that can’t seem to get the right 6 gauge cluster for an ‘06 Mustang we have. Oil pressure gauge is screwed up so customer is afraid to drive it. While the pressure is just fine as I can check with my scanner, instead of having to use an analog test gauge.
Just tell him the Cobalt form sent Ya.
He will get a smile out of it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts