Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm very depressed.

Today I decided to remove the stock spoiler off of my LS. Everything was great and it came off easier than expected with the adhesive. I pulled it down the driveway to take a look and I LOVED it so much better. The profile looked better, there was less attention to the rear of the car, and it just looked alot cleaner. Pics!

These were before I tried to take the adhesive off.

However, when I went to go take the adhesive off, I cleaned the edges of dirt so that I would not scrape as much when i was using the credit card. I looked closely and noticed tons of chips and abrasions around the edge of the adhesive where the spoiler hit and chattered over the years. This was when I decided to abort the opperation, since I wasn't going to do any finishing work, just plug the holes.

(The hole plug situation was annoying as well, as the holes were different sizes, and there were two eyebrow type slots over one set of holes that I would have had to cover up with a bigger plug. I think they were foam adhesive overflow vent things.)

So once I got the spoiler back on, I decided to tighten the nuts a little tighter since the adhesive wasn't as sticky. I then found out that the back section of the spoiler mounts were sticking up slightly. We couldn't tighten them any more because the bolts ended up stripping and just spinning in their holes. So then I decided to caulk the inside of the spoiler where the bolts were because I could see daylight through those eyebrow slots. I was really freaking disappointed, because I liked how it looked so much. Maybe someday I'll find a new trunk lid at a junkyard or ebay, or just have the holes and scratches finished and repainted. It was supposed to be a reversible opperation. I was going to put new non sticky foam on the spoiler mounts so I could pull it on and off with protection still.

That's it, just thought I'd share, if anyone had this same frustrating experience, let me know! Sorry for such a long post, just wanted to share my frustration. :(

---------- Post added at 09:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

I'm also wondering if I should continue this project and just ignore the scratches for a while and touch them up, or just leave it with the spoiler on. Thanks!

·
Registered
680 Posts
I like the wingless look a lot but for that much trouble I dont know if its worth it or not...
I would just say go with the low rise for a while until you can find a wingless trunk for a decent price :)
But then again thats just my own opinion!
Good luck!

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
I love the low-rise spoiler, sucks to hear about the misfortune you dealt with today

Haha, and I know exactly where these pics were taken :laugh:

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Kind of the same problem I had, except I had the highrise and were it sat on the trunk it left indents. Being that I do auto body for a living I was just gonna fix it but found someone to swap me so I did that instead.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I love the low-rise spoiler, sucks to hear about the misfortune you dealt with today

Haha, and I know exactly where these pics were taken :laugh:
It's okay! And very cool! :D

---------- Post added at 01:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 AM ----------

Kind of the same problem I had, except I had the highrise and were it sat on the trunk it left indents. Being that I do auto body for a living I was just gonna fix it but found someone to swap me so I did that instead.
Ahh. Yeah I really wish I had the experience, the means, and the time to just fix it myself lol...Unfortunately I'm a car designer and not a mechanic haha!

---------- Post added at 01:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 AM ----------

I like the wingless look a lot but for that much trouble I dont know if its worth it or not...
I would just say go with the low rise for a while until you can find a wingless trunk for a decent price :)
But then again thats just my own opinion!
Good luck!
That's what I'm thinking. The trunk will be a long while though lol...cuz all I have in my bank account is money that I'm waiting to pay a "no turn on red" ticket with haha!

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
yeah deff lower it. you will eventually being on this forum makes it inevitable lol I am just waiting till i have the money for mine

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Bummer! I kinda know how you feel… I had to stick my door trim back on because there was noticeable paint defects underneath. I was all excited to take them off… and then.. denied! :sad:

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Oh noes...I hope mine aren't like that...

·
Registered
212 Posts
couple of things,

SCENARIO 1:

For the paint chips I would suggest Dr.ColorChip Custom Automotive Touch-Up Paint Kit - Dr. ColorChip: Automotive Paint Chip Repair Systems it would finish up really nicely without having to go the bodyshop.

As for the holes, depends on what you want to in the future, if you permanently don't ever want a wing the future fill it and paint it.

If not then plug it but make sure there is no rust on it. and put some grease on the plugs to prevent future corrosion.

SCENARIO 2:

If you get a high rise of low rise (again) then get some urethane epoxy so that it bonds well.

Nice ride btw, yellow looks pretty sharp and nice wheels (no pun intended)!

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah deff lower it. you will eventually being on this forum makes it inevitable lol I am just waiting till i have the money for mine
Yeah I'm in the same situation, but I'm dying to lower it! :p I hate that gap that makes it look like a frickin Wrangler lol...

---------- Post added at 03:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:52 PM ----------

couple of things,

SCENARIO 1:

For the paint chips I would suggest Dr.ColorChip Custom Automotive Touch-Up Paint Kit - Dr. ColorChip: Automotive Paint Chip Repair Systems it would finish up really nicely without having to go the bodyshop.

As for the holes, depends on what you want to in the future, if you permanently don't ever want a wing the future fill it and paint it.

If not then plug it but make sure there is no rust on it. and put some grease on the plugs to prevent future corrosion.

SCENARIO 2:

If you get a high rise of low rise (again) then get some urethane epoxy so that it bonds well.

Nice ride btw, yellow looks pretty sharp and nice wheels (no pun intended)!
Thanks! I might look into the colorchip stuff. I would definitely do the plugs, cuz I'm all about options haha!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.