Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting springs pretty soon here, does anyone have a pic of a sedan lowered? what would you suggest for springs? Sportlines or pro kit?

·
Registered
802 Posts
depends on what you wanna do wit the car and what kinda ride you want... you can go to my build thread it's a lowered sedan

·
Registered
802 Posts
lots of spring threads out there...but....
i suggest sportlines. yes im biased. but i love the ride quality, and the drop puts the cobalt where it should come from the factory to me.
thus being tru the sport lines are a bit to low for rollin kit's hence y i asked what they planned to do... but i personally i would roll sport lines and a kit but there's maybe 2 inches of clearance in the front depending on the bumper

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
thus being tru the sport lines are a bit to low for rollin kit's hence y i asked what they planned to do... but i personally i would roll sport lines and a kit but there's maybe 2 inches of clearance in the front depending on the bumper
true, with a body kit i wouldnt roll sportlines. you would be one of those people rollin a cracked front bumper.

·
Registered
802 Posts
true, with a body kit i wouldnt roll sportlines. you would be one of those people rollin a cracked front bumper.
that's a big negative ghost rider... honestly tho i've done it.. it sucked ass but i've been rollin body kit's for a good while now to where i know how/where/when to roll thru thing's ya know..

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just have a stock LS sedan, so if i want to go with the lower of the 2, i should go with sportlines?

·
Registered
802 Posts
I just have a stock LS sedan, so if i want to go with the lower of the 2, i should go with sportlines?
yes... unless you plan on kitting... and the sportline's with the SS bumpers you'll be ok.. but with an actual body kit... the though is no bueno.. i've done it and loved it but i dont recomend it.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, My g/f just ordered the sportlines for me as an early x-mas present! Im jacked! This will be my first lowered vehicle! heres a pic of my last vehicle....

·
Registered
720 Posts
Here's approx. what your car will look like...I have sportlines on my LS...

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
i have the eibach prokit...its decent, i like itm its not as low as the sportlines but its still gonna give you great handling, that n it wont blow your shocks n struts lol...ill post up pics later on

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am not shure yet, i mean i am an auto dismantler by trade and i rip cars apart all the time, i am just not shure how hard the front will be.....input please

stoked for you bro!(good woman!:))
you going to do the install yourself?
be sure to post pics when they are on! :bigsmile:

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
fronts are pretty easy. ive done mine twice. the second time was waaay easier...thanks cobalt tom!
i took off the large strut tower nut. before jacking up the car.
jacked up the car, and put it on stands.
supported the underside of the strut(slightly) with jack.
un bolted the 2 strut to knuckle nuts. then pound out the 2 bolts.
then loosen the 3 tower nuts.
lowered the jack.
and the spring decompresses itself from the strut.
then reassembled using spring compressors.
the first time i did it. it took me about 6 hrs for all four.
second time, the struts went in 45 mins.
its pretty easy. you shouldnt have a problem considering what you do for a living.
hit me up if you have any questions....
oh, and air tools help a ton. but i used a cordless impact driver the second time. thats what saved most of my time.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Excellent man! Im gonna put the sticker on the windshield. "Dropped at Birth" :laugh:

·
Registered
720 Posts
Yeah, very simple to install...took me about 3-4 hours first time around....now that I've done it and know what I did wrong (what slowed me down) the first time, I'm confident I could take my time and do it in 1-1.5 hours. Will be nice to put SS/TC shocks/struts in...I am for sure going with those...the price was lowered now on GMPD...$305 shipped...beats $380 shipped any day of the week. Just have to wait till next year to buy them....no money and for now my stock FE1 suspension is still good. It's been over a year now on Sportlines.

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
Yeah, very simple to install...took me about 3-4 hours first time around....now that I've done it and know what I did wrong (what slowed me down) the first time, I'm confident I could take my time and do it in 1-1.5 hours. Will be nice to put SS/TC shocks/struts in...I am for sure going with those...the price was lowered now on GMPD...$305 shipped...beats $380 shipped any day of the week. Just have to wait till next year to buy them....no money and for now my stock FE1 suspension is still good. It's been over a year now on Sportlines.
damn, i shoulda waited a few months. :laugh:
oh well, they were definitley worth 380!

to the op, dont use hand tools! most of your time will be saved on the spring compressors.
if i remember correctly, the large tower nut is 21 mm, strut to knuckle bolts are 18mm, and the tower nuts are 10 mm. and the spring compressor was 3/4"

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.