Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 05 Cobalt LS all black yesterday. Sweet looking car although I got some problems to work out.

The guy I bought it from took most of the trim, doors, console, around radio and the bar trim, and spray painted it black... then gray?... then red?... then black?

piss poor job.

What are my options?

paint thinner, wood kits, junk yard, if anyone has anything in mind to fix the interior I'd like to know.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Junkyard is probably your best bet to start over. There are tons of these junked. Striping can be done but a lot of work .

·
Registered
803 Posts
^^ what he said, or you can sand your trim down and re paint it the right way.

and welcome to the forums:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I'm always finding great trim pieces at the bone yard. Most of it's in pretty nice shape, so I snag them up in case I need them later to replace something I've mucked up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'd get replacement stock pieces. Then you can take your time sanding the ones you have and do the job right. Then swap them. And you could paint the replacement trim a different color or leave them stock and swap them depending on your preference at any given time

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'd say if you enjoy DIY projects, save the dough, and sand/paint the current ones. Plus you get the satisfaction of knowing it's done correctly, and it's something you've done to make the car yours...your own touch.

If you are not the DIY type, or not highly mechanically inclined, order some new parts.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
i would just sand and repaint. Or if you want it flat black id try Plasti-dip spray. Most likly itll cover everything up with no need to sand.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Usually there's some stuff being sold on eBay. You just have to filter through all the shitty trim kits (don't EVER buy those) and find the stock trim pieces. But like most people have already said, sanding and repainting would be your cheapest option, and depending on your ability, probably the best looking as well.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I bought a full set of stock black trim off ebay for 30 bucks.

It might take a while to find a set but they pop up once and a while.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I spent $15 to repaint all the trim pieces and another $20 reapholstering the head liner. I win!

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I used four coats of krylon plastic spray paint, then four coats of clear. Havent had a problem with any of it.

Make sure when you sand not to use too rough of a grit, I've seen people with some shotty sanding work and it looks terrible.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.