Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having this weird issue with spray paint going on grainy. Never seen it before this summer. I assumed it was due to heat and paint drying too quick, but I did a round this evening when heat should not have been an issue and it did it to me. I assume it's something I'm doing wrong, but what? Am I not shaking enough? I know the surface was clean and sanded and cleaned again...

any advice would be awesome. thanks.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
matching brand for each if that's what you're asking. i've had the issue with multiple brands though for other projects.

for this particular project the only companies that make the kind of paint I need are krylon and duplicolor, and I already have over $40 invested in just 4 krylon rattle cans so I'm not trying another brand this time :( I'll scrap the project before that.

humidity? could it be too high humidity...didn't think that just because it's cooler doesn't mean humidity isn't high...hmm.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
humidity? could it be too high humidity...didn't think that just because it's cooler doesn't mean humidity isn't high...hmm.

It could be the humidity, same as painting even inside when it rains, the paint doesnt want to stick properly. That is why some body shops without ovens wont paint when it is raining or high humidity.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
krylon xmetals suck.

I followed the directions, I even bought the special converter...garbage. they came out nothing like the cap. arg...I'm I'm pissed for special ordering this crap.

/rant

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I bought some rustoleum shit from homedepot... its like a Faux metal lookin spray... looked fantastic, The chrome looked like real chrome, gold looked like Goldshiny metal, great stuff!

Oh and paint can and will look like shit if drying in hihg humidity or impapropriatly prepped.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got it done in the morning when humidity should be at it's lowest. I just did a clear coat, I plan to sand it down and buff in a couple days after its fully dry. we'll see. if it still sucks, I'm going to wait till fall/winter when humidity is lower here and give it another go. Otherwise I'll just go shiny chrome or high gloss black.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I used that spray paint on a doorknob in my house one day when under the influence of something or rather...cough...anyways, the doorknob is polished metal and it came out exactly like the cap. I didnt use the converter unless I was painting on wood or other non-metal surfaces. To get the real shine it had to be on shiny metal I guess. I can try to get pics to show what I mean.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Heres the doorknob thats painted with xmetals. I painted it over 5 years ago now id say and this door gets used a lot as you can tell from the wear. It was really deep colored and shiny when fresh, but was constantly touched due to the whole need it to open the door thing. haha The yellow in the middle of the lock is just a reflection of the ceiling fan, that parts still quite dark n shiny

These are some old tables I found in my dads garage and sanded down and used the xmetal and its converter on. As you can tell, def doesnt look like the cap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.