Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well in january I am putting springs on my car at school. Well i cant make up my mind if I want the SSC springs or sportlines. I am just concerned on what kind of drop the SSC springs have on the LS because I have only seen them on the SS.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks for the help! for some reason I think im just gonna go with the SSC springs there a little cheaper.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I know a cheaper but good set if springs. They're dropzone. Cost like $100 and a decent drop

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are the dropzone springs durable and reliable or do I get what i paid for, with problems down the road.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Are the dropzone springs durable and reliable or do I get what i paid for, with problems down the road.
probably get what you pay for, imean they may be good springs but you'd def get better quality out of the ssc or sportlines. All depends what you want and how much you're willing to spend on it. I'm going with sportlines and new shocks/struts next summer (probably monroe sensatrack or kyb)

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yea im definitely gonna go with the SSC springs and maybe update my struts and shocks while I do so. I have plenty of time before I do it (2 months) so I have some time to save money! And as far as the struts would I go with the monroe sensatrac but which type should I go with?

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
shocks and struts arent really worth it for our cars. u might as well just get coilovers if ur going to do that.
i wouldn't say that. Springs for around $200-300, the sensa trac set of shocks and struts for under $350 if you look well and KYB the same, maybe a bit more, comes to like $650 MAX, do it yourself that's what you pay. The lowest good-quality coilovers I have seen after looking were $950 PLUS shipping so over $1000. You save much money by going with them seperately, or so I have found, and you can do them in steps (springs first then l8r on shocks/struts when you have more money). On a cost base analysis the first way is better or so I have found.

·
Registered
872 Posts
i wouldn't say that. Springs for around $200-300, the sensa trac set of shocks and struts for under $350 if you look well and KYB the same, maybe a bit more, comes to like $650 MAX, do it yourself that's what you pay. The lowest good-quality coilovers I have seen after looking were $950 PLUS shipping so over $1000. You save much money by going with them seperately, or so I have found, and you can do them in steps (springs first then l8r on shocks/struts when you have more money). On a cost base analysis the first way is better or so I have found.
no, u cannot piece together a suspension like that and consider it even close to the quality of a coilover. coilovers are fully adjustable and have parts designed to work w/ each other, and not made by separate companies. a lot of coilovers are progressive and have shocks and struts designed to work w/ them depending on their spring rates along the spring. wat im saying is u wont get too much out of buying new shocks and struts unless of course urs are worn and need to be replaced. its 300 dollars extra VERY well spent. when doing suspension modifications, cheapness is never the goal. the suspension is wat keeps ur car moving in the right direction and saves u from accidents.

instead of spending 350 on shocks and struts, u should go w/ either a strut tower bar or maybe a good set of anti-roll bars. u would get alot better gains for handling.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
no, u cannot piece together a suspension like that and consider it even close to the quality of a coilover. coilovers are fully adjustable and have parts designed to work w/ each other, and not made by separate companies. a lot of coilovers are progressive and have shocks and struts designed to work w/ them depending on their spring rates along the spring. wat im saying is u wont get too much out of buying new shocks and struts unless of course urs are worn and need to be replaced. its 300 dollars extra VERY well spent. when doing suspension modifications, cheapness is never the goal. the suspension is wat keeps ur car moving in the right direction and saves u from accidents.

instead of spending 350 on shocks and struts, u should go w/ either a strut tower bar or maybe a good set of anti-roll bars. u would get alot better gains for handling.
That's all cool but what I'm saying is, if you just change the springs, either your shocks/struts will go eventually, or your gonna wear out bushings like crazy (especially on the roads where I live). But if you want a setup that works better than stock suspension and have under $650 to spend, and you can do the install yourself, then do shocks and struts seperate so that you don't destroy your other components over the next 2 years. Coilovers are great but I don't have $1100-$2000 to go buy the kit that I would want, so I choose to go with a $650 setup which will get me a better ride and still keep my car's suspension and components with regular wear and tear as opposed to optimal stress from spring lowering.
You're not wrong, it's just that in my educated opinion, it's not "worthless" to get shocks and struts for our car especially if you already have lowering springs.

·
Registered
872 Posts
You're not wrong, it's just that in my educated opinion, it's not "worthless" to get shocks and struts for our car especially if you already have lowering springs.
yea i dont think they're worthless, but i just personally wouldnt replace the shocks or struts till they've already gone bad. then it totally makes sense to put a better set in. if u have to replace, might as well upgrade, lol

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well the reason I asked is because I know my struts are gonna go eventually because they r not meant to be lowered on so im trying to get a idea on what I should get and i dont have the money to buy coilovers...just a college kid working 2 jobs to pay for car, insurance, and gas.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Well the reason I asked is because I know my struts are gonna go eventually because they r not meant to be lowered on so im trying to get a idea on what I should get and i dont have the money to buy coilovers...just a college kid working 2 jobs to pay for car, insurance, and gas.
definitely understand there, i go to OU and have two jobs also. only thing i dont have to pay for is my insurace, but i cover the rest, lol. honestly u dont need struts, ive been dropped for about 6 months now no problems. a friend of mine ran for 40k miles over 2 years and hasnt replaced them, and they still give a nice "psssh" sound when u go over a bump.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok thanks for the help! im just gonna buy the springs for now from ZZ performance. And worry about the rest down the road.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.