Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a weird squeaking noise when driving 20-40 km an hour that I'm hoping you guys can help me fix.

Just recently I've noticed this noise, it's not crazy loud but I notice it when I'm driving past parked cars in neighbourhoods with my windows down. I thought it could have been a wheel bearing but they seemed to be fine as the tires don't have any play when I jack it up.

It's a constant squeaking noise but goes away once I get above about 40km an hour. It's not always happening either, it's from time to time, some times worse and louder then others. I just had my belt replaced less then two months ago since it was cracking, there isn't a squeak at idle either.

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
9 Posts
So this noise is constant while above idle but below cruising speed? Does the noise happen while vehicle running, above idle, but not driving?

If not a belt, it could be a pulley.

If it happens only when driving it could be any number of suspension parts (bushings etc).

·
Registered
266 Posts
most likely its a hub, these cars are notorious for the wheel hub going bad, its not all that hard to replace one but there aren't cheap (about $100 U.S.) i have had my 06 for about 4-1/2 years and had to replace them twice and im going to have to replace them again here soon.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Is it speed dependent? As in - does it get faster as you go faster, and slow down when you slow down?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll check today to see if I can get a squeaking noise while idling but revving the engine. In between 20-40 it seems to stay at a steady squeak, not getting louder or faster. But when I go above or below that speed it goes away. I have bad struts but have had those for awhile and this squeak just stared happening. I have fe5 suspension just waiting to go in I just need the time. If it is a hub how could I tell? Anyway I could jack the car up and be able to tell if it's a hub that's no good? Also do I change hubs in pairs? Thanks for the great feedback so far!

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
I've had bad hubs/bearings and not been able to tell other than replacing it. Shaking/moving the wheel did nothing to tell me it was bad.

I've never changed the hubs in pairs - in fact, I just put the 115k mile one from my left (which I swapped, and then determined was not at fault for my issue) onto my left front, to replace the replacement.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've had bad hubs/bearings and not been able to tell other than replacing it. Shaking/moving the wheel did nothing to tell me it was bad.

I've never changed the hubs in pairs - in fact, I just put the 115k mile one from my left (which I swapped, and then determined was not at fault for my issue) onto my left front, to replace the replacement.

Thanks for the advise. I'll go ahead and change the hubs to see if that's the problem. It's weird because sometime it will squeak and other times it won't.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Before you do that, does the sound go away when you hit the brakes?

I remember the Cav at one point was making a similar noise, and I thought it to be the wheel bearing - turned out to be the wear indicators on the brake pads.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Before you do that, does the sound go away when you hit the brakes?

I remember the Cav at one point was making a similar noise, and I thought it to be the wheel bearing - turned out to be the wear indicators on the brake pads.

I changed my pads less then 3 months ago but I'll check and see if they are squeaking and give everything a good wire brush cleaning.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.