Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought the K&N Typhoon sri a while ago and had noticable problems. Then maybe two months I kept getting CELS almost every other day, all I did is take out the MAF and clean it then it would go away. Other problems were rough idles in any weather somedays I would go to start it up and it would choke and turn off. SO after about three months of this I put in my old Intake and nothing has happend. The rough idls and CELS have gone away. So obviously the only thing I can think of is I have a 2008 Ls 2.2. And in the instruction it ask for me to connect an air injection tube to the underside of my SRI (anyone who has the same make and model may know what I mean). The problem is I can't find the tube is talking about, unless its further down. so I just capped the part of my intake off. So if anyone has any resolutions or can send my any pictures of where the missing tube is that would be awesome! Thanks, you guys are great. And I apologize for my car illiteracy

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
if you could not find the tube, you probably dont have it. some do, some dont. It's called SAI (or secondary air intake I believe). You did right by plugging it. I have the same year/make/and intake and have no issues. I'll think if I can see what went wrong, but I cannot think of anything off the top of my head. good luck

·
Registered
74 Posts
rough idling can be caused by a dirty throttle body, even if it is not noticeable with the stock intake. try to clean it and see if it does a difference

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
So I bought the K&N Typhoon sri a while ago and had noticable problems. Then maybe two months I kept getting CELS almost every other day, all I did is take out the MAF and clean it then it would go away. Other problems were rough idles in any weather somedays I would go to start it up and it would choke and turn off. SO after about three months of this I put in my old Intake and nothing has happend. The rough idls and CELS have gone away. So obviously the only thing I can think of is I have a 2008 Ls 2.2. And in the instruction it ask for me to connect an air injection tube to the underside of my SRI (anyone who has the same make and model may know what I mean). The problem is I can't find the tube is talking about, unless its further down. so I just capped the part of my intake off. So if anyone has any resolutions or can send my any pictures of where the missing tube is that would be awesome! Thanks, you guys are great. And I apologize for my car illiteracy
I have the a 2008 also, you need to hook that hose up underneath, it runs just above the radiator, you were supposed to disconnect the hard extention to the old airbox and use the short soft hose to connect into the bottom that you capped off, no problems outta mine, had it for about 2 weeks now...

·
Registered
446 Posts
Did you disconnect the battery first before taking apart anything on the car? The believe the instructions stress that in the beginning.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
What "hose" are you guys referring to? The 08 still has a hose from the valve cover to the intake after the MAF. I think they also have the SAI -- a tube that goes into the top of the filter box. OP please post some pics of the hose(s) you had issues with. If you had a CEL then you should get the DTC code -- to identify the specific cause.

·
Registered
446 Posts
What "hose" are you guys referring to? The 08 still has a hose from the valve cover to the intake after the MAF. I think they also have the SAI -- a tube that goes into the top of the filter box. OP please post some pics of the hose(s) you had issues with. If you had a CEL then you should get the DTC code -- to identify the specific cause.
+1 getting or renting a code reader and posting it here will help us narrow down your issue.

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
I have an 08 2:18:59 PM 2.2 and I've installed the K/N sri as well. I dunno why but some have an sai and some don't. My car did NOT have the sai so I just capped off that hole. No problems yet. Disconnect your battery, recheck all of your seals and clean everything off...see what happens.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
I have an 08 2:18:59 PM 2.2 and I've installed the K/N sri as well. I dunno why but some have an sai and some don't. My car did NOT have the sai so I just capped off that hole. No problems yet. Disconnect your battery, recheck all of your seals and clean everything off...see what happens.
Same here, I have a 2007 LS 2.2 with no SAI. No problems yet, just capped off the big hole and connected the small hole. Did have CEL's but they were related to a cracked cat/downpipe, the dealer said it was the intake, but I called BS on them and showed them why, I marked the hardware on the intake to easily see if they came loose, dealer never touched the intake.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
There are 5 states that have more stringent emission laws ...CA, NY, and 3 more I don't remember...LoL! Usually cars sold in those states have the SAI...and any unfortunate owners that bought an SAI equipped car that happened to be shipped to their state...LoL

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well about a week ago I popped another cel with my original intake in proving that is another source. I zip tied my maf tighter to the intake because it was loose and everything seems to be way better then it has been. Could a loose MAF sensor cause rough idling?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Well about a week ago I popped another cel with my original intake in proving that is another source. I zip tied my maf tighter to the intake because it was loose and everything seems to be way better then it has been. Could a loose MAF sensor cause rough idling?
What do you mean it's loose? It is held in by 2 screws -- did you strip them out? Yes a loose MAF could cause all kinds of problems...it should be sealed to the intake so that no air gets into the intake except where it is designed too. Extra air slipping by the MAF means the MAF is not properly reading air flow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.