Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so heres my deal. Maybe i just need some space to rant, but here goes. It seems to be the general consensus on the net that the biggest competitor for the Cobalt SS/SC is the Neon SRT4. Normally i wouldnt have a problem with this since the SRT4 isnt that bad of a car. But the other consensus is that apparently the SRT4 outclasses the Balt in every possible way. Can anyone tell me how that is? SRT4 turbo doesnt make any power until about 5k, and the Balt's SC makes it all throughout the powerband. Srt4 has 210hp, SS has 205. SS has the weight advantage by about 200lbs, and is a little more expensive. This seems to me that from a dig the SS has it, and from a roll it is probably the SRT. So why is it that everyone believes the SS is completely inferior?

·
Banned
384 Posts
they try to compete with everyone...not jus ss/sc. little bastards i wish they would die

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I have a SRT4 guy who thinks he's so hot if he challenges my 2.4L! how cool would he look if i could keep up to his sorry rear in a NA car, lol. He wants to run on the track this summer, and by then, i plan to test drive the TC, and we will see who beats who.........yes, i want track trials of my test drive car! And here, we get what we want.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a SRT4 guy who thinks he's so hot if he challenges my 2.4L! how cool would he look if i could keep up to his sorry rear in a NA car, lol. He wants to run on the track this summer, and by then, i plan to test drive the TC, and we will see who beats who.........yes, i want track trials of my test drive car! And here, we get what we want.
Thats the whole thing im talking about. The guys who own them or support them think theyre the hottest shit on road, wtf? SRT4 vs SS/TC? Thats not even a race bro, but it would shut him up permanent. I raced a guy at school who thought his Neon SXT (NA with shitty motor) compared to the SRT, and my 2.4 kicked the crap out of him, no contest. Of course he weighs about 350lbs himnself lol.

·
Premium Member
2,862 Posts
How do the GM stage upgrades compare to the Mopar upgrades? I've seen some mean SRT-4's on the road

Admin added 4 Minutes and 56 Seconds later...

Dodge Neon SRT4 Stage 3 - Road Test & Review - Automobile Magazine

I was just reading this article briefly... Stage 3 runs about $4200 .. looks like it includes a turbo upgrade and fuel management upgrades .. Says on 93 octane puts it at 310hp and 315ft/tq at the crank

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
How do the GM stage upgrades compare to the Mopar upgrades? I've seen some mean SRT-4's on the road

I was just reading this article briefly... Stage 3 runs about $4200 .. looks like it includes a turbo upgrade and fuel management upgrades .. Says on 93 octane puts it at 310hp and 315ft/tq at the crank
but you are paying for it in the cost of bloody fuel, what's the mileage?

I bet my car will pass one on the highway because he ran out of gas, and i am still going on my 89 octane:p

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

But doesnt the stage 2 balt put up 305 crank? i saw a guys motor badged with stage 2 emblems and said 305 hp, or maybe im crazy.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
my opinon = SRT's are over rated

·
Registered
673 Posts
If you want an all out racer then the SRT-4 is the way to go. It mods better, and is already stripped out a bit. If you want an all around car the SS/SC is better. It's more comfortable, drives smoother, and is a nicer place to sit.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Stock for stock, an SRT-4 will embarass any current model of Cobalt in a straight up drag race. As far as handling, looks, ride quality, build quality, and engineering, the SS/SC has the SRT-4 beat. If you're talking to people that value straight line speed over anything then of course they'll say SRT-4 is better. As far as a daily car, the Cobalt is much nicer and refined.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a 2004 Neon SXT...whooppeee!

Bought it used 17k miles, $5600, good deal------NOT!

It was the only car I have ever owned that I totally hated. (I'm 52 years old as of yesterday)

The seat cut off the circulation in my right leg.

I could only drive the damn thing an hour, and would have to get out and walk around.

The noise level inside the cabin was like driving a convertable.

The pull-push fog light switch on the end of the stalk broke three days after I bought it.

I wired them to the parking lights (illegal) but I have a buddy.....

I had to re-tighten the spark plugs ever 1,000 miles, or the car would buck and cough. (YEAH, I TURQUED EM TO SPEC)

SXT = Neon with fog lights and a hoop on the rear deck, and cast alum wheels.

--------------------

It was a Saturday morning, right after washing, and getting the plugs tight again, I took it on a test drive around.

Spotted a black Cobalt in the lot of a local dealer, traded the effing piece of crap for my Cobalt, that day.

Tina the girl up the street told me a guy she works with bought the neon.....it has been back to the shop about four times for the bucking & coughing, and the garage wouldn't inspect it due to the fog lights.........Ha Ha

·
Registered
139 Posts
The 03-05 srts are 230hp 250tq animals, and the Cobalt was right there in the 1/4 mile and 0-60. The Cobalt kicked ass on the road course though. Motortrend had a pretty good article

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged vs. 2005 Dodge SRT4 - Compact Sport Coupe Comparison - Motor Trend

I have yet to come across an srt4 who wanted to play a little. Judgeing from what I've read, I"ll need to be careful of what type of srt I tangle with.

When all is said and done I prefer a coupe over sedans or hatchbacks any day of the week.

·
Registered
111 Posts
From my experice playin with srt4's I have learned this. Straight line, ss/sc will take srt off the line thru about mid 2nd (with a good launch and no spin/hop) then srt takes it. staged ss/sc will eat srt from stop and from there on it just gets nastier. srt I raced (supposedly stage 1) I raped all the way around. Half car off the launch shut down about 130 or so and had like 6-7 cars on him. So just keep moddin. U will get there. Have yet to race one past stage one or that I was SURE was staged but Im lookin at one now that supposedly has 620 whp. But then again its supposedly stage 4.... heh.. hehehe... exactly. I will let ya know though.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
From my experice playin with srt4's I have learned this. Straight line, ss/sc will take srt off the line thru about mid 2nd (with a good launch and no spin/hop) then srt takes it. staged ss/sc will eat srt from stop and from there on it just gets nastier. srt I raced (supposedly stage 1) I raped all the way around. Half car off the launch shut down about 130 or so and had like 6-7 cars on him. So just keep moddin. U will get there. Have yet to race one past stage one or that I was SURE was staged but Im lookin at one now that supposedly has 620 whp. But then again its supposedly stage 4.... heh.. hehehe... exactly. I will let ya know though.
When are you racing it?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hopefully within the next month. Gonna grab full exhaust (header/dp and catback, as well intake) b 4 I do this lol. Figure I am gonna need it if he REALLY has 620 whp. For some odd reason though, I dont believe it has 620 whp. I will make sure to have the vids for you all and post it on here, to go along with the video I posted of me racing the guys friend who also has an srt4. Odd though, he lives as close as I do to the dragstrip but he wont ever take it there lol. I only live 4 miles from the strip lol. As I said though, think im smellin bs here.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Hopefully within the next month. Gonna grab full exhaust (header/dp and catback, as well intake) b 4 I do this lol. Figure I am gonna need it if he REALLY has 620 whp. For some odd reason though, I dont believe it has 620 whp. I will make sure to have the vids for you all and post it on here, to go along with the video I posted of me racing the guys friend who also has an srt4. Odd though, he lives as close as I do to the dragstrip but he wont ever take it there lol. I only live 4 miles from the strip lol. As I said though, think im smellin bs here.
Most of the time its really easy to smell bs. Especially when they have no proof and they dont want you to know "What dey got up undah dat hood". I was going to race a guy at my school who claimed his '90s civic hatch (which no one at school had ever seen except one of his buddies, go figure) had 600 whp and ran a 12 second quarter. I laughed at him. 600 and a 12 ET? Whatever. His excuse for that was that he "spun em all the way down the track". My explanation was "your a liar".

So i called bullshit to his face and he said ok lets race. Next day he was supposed to meet me at this empty country road no one uses that has a road sign a 1/4 mile from the start. He pulls up in the truck he regularly drives to school. Said that he sold his civic to a guy in texas. I was like "how convenient, whats his name". He told me the guys name was Johnny Tran, and he makes alot of money just buying and selling fast cars. I called him a dumbass and he said "any time sucka". I replied with "but not this time, right?". He drove off angrily.

Oh and for those of you who were wondering, yes, Johnny Tran is the name of the main bad guy in the first Fast and the Furious movie.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just wonder why nobody can be honest. The only people ive found that are dead honest about what theyre cars have are guys age 30 and up with old school muscle. They will tell you straight up what they have. Anybody who owns a ricer/tuner and is under the age of 24 will bullshit you all day long

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.