Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Call a few shops for a more accurate quote...could be anywhere from $75 to 150 or more. I don't think it would be less than $100 to be honest (assuming they are doing all the work...sanding, prepping, painting, clear coat). If you do prep work yourself, and they just paint/clear, then it will probably be under $100.

I have never had it done so I don't know.

·
Registered
547 Posts
It won't be less then $100 I don't think either. I had an SS bumper painted about 2 weeks ago and it was primered and it cost me $187. You can call around, but some will tell you that they need to see it to give you an estimate. How much is the bumper going to cost you?

·
Registered
547 Posts
All depends on the quality of the work you are willing to have. A good paint job that will handle all the road chemicals and such will be at least 150.
finncobalt is right, if it is less then $100 to have it repainted to another color I would question the quality of the paint.

·
Registered
720 Posts
^Again, it depends...if they are charging under $100 for everything to be done...question it...if they are ONLY painting it and putting clear on...might be OK...if you can sand, prep, prime yourself, you'll save a ton. And that's the easiest thing to do, so it benefits you to do it yourself...you can learn to do those things easily and if you take your time, you will do a better job than any shop...leave the painting to them though.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I had my SS bumper customized and painted for $300.00 wish i did the sanding and priming myself

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I got mie through the dealership my friend was the parts guy there and he got it for me at his employee discount. Only other cheaper place i saw it at was gmpartsdirect.com

·
Registered
547 Posts
I got mie through the dealership my friend was the parts guy there and he got it for me at his employee discount. Only other cheaper place i saw it at was gmpartsdirect.com
gmpartsdirect.com is the cheapest, but there shipping is high as hell. The SS/SC bumper is $299.74+&150.45 shipping and the SS/NA is $215.54+$132.72 shipping, then the cost of painting it which is anywhere between $150-$250. However, that is still cheaper then the dealer.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Anybody have the part number for the SS/NA bumper?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wow - i posted that question and didn't get back on here until this morning and saw all of the replies - thanks everyone for the tips!

It won't be less then $100 I don't think either. I had an SS bumper painted about 2 weeks ago and it was primered and it cost me $187. You can call around, but some will tell you that they need to see it to give you an estimate. How much is the bumper going to cost you?
well, firstly, the front bumper is a steal at $50. but i didn't want to do it if the painting job was gonna be more than i can afford. from your quotes of it being an average of under $200, and even less if do the sanding and priming and such myself, this is sounding more do-able.

^Again, it depends...if they are charging under $100 for everything to be done...question it...if they are ONLY painting it and putting clear on...might be OK...if you can sand, prep, prime yourself, you'll save a ton. And that's the easiest thing to do, so it benefits you to do it yourself...you can learn to do those things easily and if you take your time, you will do a better job than any shop...leave the painting to them though.
i've never had any experience with sanding and priming and such for plastic, so this'll be absolutely new territory for me. is it possible for a newbie to learn to do this job right? and how much does primer and all of the stuff to prepare the bumper cost?

thanks again!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Im looking for ss bummper for 2 mouths now with no luck if someone finds ss bummper online any where let me know, I dont want to pay the deller 650 bucks for it
I hear ya, the dealer is crazy expensive. I look on Ebay everyday to try to help others find that SS bumper.

·
Registered
547 Posts
wow - i posted that question and didn't get back on here until this morning and saw all of the replies - thanks everyone for the tips!

well, firstly, the front bumper is a steal at $50. but i didn't want to do it if the painting job was gonna be more than i can afford. from your quotes of it being an average of under $200, and even less if do the sanding and priming and such myself, this is sounding more do-able.

i've never had any experience with sanding and priming and such for plastic, so this'll be absolutely new territory for me. is it possible for a newbie to learn to do this job right? and how much does primer and all of the stuff to prepare the bumper cost?

thanks again!
Listen, if you are getting the bumper for $50. If you have to buy and and hold on to it until you can get the money together to get it repainted. You will never come across this type of bumper for that much again.

·
Banned
164 Posts

thanks again!
i'd be all over that even if i couldnt afford to paint it at the moment. there's a very good chance you won't find that again.

Listen, if you are getting the bumper for $50. If you have to buy and and hold on to it until you can get the money together to get it repainted. You will never come across this type of bumper for that much again.
haha oops! shoulda read down further. but yeah, this^^ i agree.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah i agree - my hesitation on whether or not to go for it came from the fact that i'll have to drive a distance to get it (guy wants it picked up, not shipped), so i wanted to be sure this was a do-able project before spending even that $50. but yeah, i'm contacting the guy again today to make sure he still has it - hopefully he does. :blink:

any info on priming costs and such?

·
Registered
547 Posts
yeah i agree - my hesitation on whether or not to go for it came from the fact that i'll have to drive a distance to get it (guy wants it picked up, not shipped), so i wanted to be sure this was a do-able project before spending even that $50. but yeah, i'm contacting the guy again today to make sure he still has it - hopefully he does. :blink:

any info on priming costs and such?
I am not sure about priming cost, but even if the cost to have it sanded and primered and repainting is $250, you still are coming out pretty good. These bumpers are hard to come by and if you buy it new from the dealer you are looking at over $500+painting, so your already over $600 if not more. Check out the bumper and make sure there is no real damage to it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.