Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas I'm currently looking for the ss front/rear bumpers as well as the side skirts for my 09 cobalt. If they came painted it would be a huge bonus. Also do they bolt straight on? Or do the coupes fit? I was planning on doing fe5 struts but not too sure of what Springs to use.

Thanks!

TwoScoops

·
Registered
949 Posts
They should bolt on, if I remember right. I think the front bumper is the same across the coupe and sedans, but the rear is definitely different and won't be interchangeable between coupe and sedan. Other than that, if you find the SS front and rear bumpers/side skirts, they should bolt on okay. @rrob5382 Didn't you do the bumper swap?

FE5 struts and shocks with Canuck Motorsport springs is the setup I'm using, and I really like it.

FE5 Front Driver Side Strut
FE5 Passenger Side Strut
FE5 Rear Shocks (Need 2)
Canuck Motorsport Springs

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
@Parthros are you running 16" rims or have you gone bigger to 17 or 18" rims? Just wondering what it'll look like. Do you have a pic of your vehicle with this setup? I don't want a lot of wheel arch gap, but don't want to slam it either.

This isn't the right one is it?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Front bumper and side skirts fit coupe or sedan, rear bumper is different but if you can do a little body work the ss rear lip can be fitted to your stock bumper

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
rrob5382 you are usually bang on but the 09 SS sedan bumper is one of a kind, it's the only one molded with a carve out for the exhaust. And for the front you have 2 choices, the SS sport which is the one posted above or the SS ground FX which has the added lip with all the slots in the bumper. My personal opinion on that is go for the one piece sport bumper, a lot less assle and looks better once finished.

That's what I put on mine.

The other one looks like the red car above in the YourCobalt heading.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So let me get this straight. It looks like the ground fx is just the regular bumper with a lip on it. It seems like I can't find the lip portion of it anywhere, so is it one bumper that looks like it has a lip? I just want the look of the one on the home page. With the lower side skirts, rear bumper (parthero's seems to have found that one) and front bumper.

Thanks,

TwoScoops

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
The lip is a separate piece from the bumper, the version that coby posted just doesn't have slots cut into it for the lip to attach to.
Front bumper without lip installed

Front bumper with lip installed to test fit after some damage repair and primer

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Rear bumper cover looks the same but is about 2" longer and wraps around the tail pipe.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Okay I guess that would explain it haha, never seen them side by side just assumed they were the same because they really don't look any different

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I can't remember if the Sedan SS has a slot at the bottom like the Coupe SS but I know from memory that you can't see the muffler or that black extention in the middle behind the spare tire. The picture shown above is a generic one and not loyal to the actual appearance. I can't remember the member that has the blue SS Sedan on here because I would go visit is garage for pictures.

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 PM ----------

Found it, although he has no pictures of the rear bumper fascia straight on I think you'll see the difference. See how much lower it goes behind the rear wheel.

Our GM number is GM# 12336075 while the SS and sport model is GM# 12336079

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Yeah the differences are very subtle.

·
Registered
949 Posts
@Parthros are you running 16" rims or have you gone bigger to 17 or 18" rims? Just wondering what it'll look like. Do you have a pic of your vehicle with this setup? I don't want a lot of wheel arch gap, but don't want to slam it either.

This isn't the right one is it?
Sorry, I didn't get on here this weekend at all.

My stock wheels were actually 15" but I did end up upgrading to 17" wheels. I've got 225/45R17 tires on them, which is a slightly larger overall diameter than the stock 195/60R15 that I had.

I've got a few pics in this thread.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry, I didn't get on here this weekend at all.

My stock wheels were actually 15" but I did end up upgrading to 17" wheels. I've got 225/45R17 tires on them, which is a slightly larger overall diameter than the stock 195/60R15 that I had.

I've got a few pics in this thread.

At first I was thinking it still looked a bit tall. I might bite it and go 18", just because 17" looks a bit too small for my liking. Then the SS bumer and skirts should make it look lower than that. #showcarstatus

What colour is your car? it looks slate grey metallic at some angles and black at others! :p

·
Registered
949 Posts
The Canuck Motorsport springs only give like a 1.5" front 2" rear drop, which on a car as high as the Cobalt, leaves it looking like stock ride height for any other car :laugh:

My tires are a whole profile larger than they really should be, which makes the wheels look smaller than they are. If you got like 225/40R17, I think you'd be satisfied with how large the wheels look in comparison to the sidewall.

GM calls it Black Granite Metallic, which is a fancy way of saying, "there's glitter in the black paint, so re-painting is expensive as fuuuuu..."

---------- Post added at 12:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 PM ----------

Looks kinda blue in the last picture, and everyone seems to think my car in the header is blue.

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Everything should bolt right up. If you really want the front lip carid.com sells a replica one that fits up pretty well. I just added it to the ss front bumper I mounted on my LT sedan. I also have the SS sideskirts and sedan style ss rear bumper. I would love to get a rear lip, but I can't seem to find one :(

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

Here is a couple decent shots showing the front bumper with sideskirts, the rear bumper and the car as a whole. The wheels I am on are the same dimensions (except for a smidge more offset) as the LNF wheels. These wheels are 18x8 +40 while the LNF wheels are 18x8 +42 She is also lowered on BC coilovers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.