Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all,

Im wondering if a 2007 ss/sc exhaust will fit my 2006 ls from the catalytic converter back. I believe it is shaped correctly, but my only concern is the way it connects to the converter. (im sort of a newb so sorry if some things sound stupid).. the junkyard wont sell the catalytic converter.

both cars are coupes and manual transmissions.

any insight or help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
922 Posts
100% bolt on. There is little to no gain from from just adding the SS catback, and it just a little bit louder then stock.

·
Registered
922 Posts
To get any type of gain from your exhaust you have do the full thing. Header, mid-pipe/down pipe/catalytic converter, and catback. If you replace just one of these you still have a choke point or bottle neck where the flow is still less. IE. If you do the cat-back, like you said, your still have smaller diameter piping for your mid pipe. Also the 2006 LS header has smaller ports then the 2007 SS header.

·
Registered
922 Posts
It'll be less restictive, and will help out a little bit power wise, but still not a lot. Unless your going to turbo or supercharge the car, the stock SS exhaust is really all you'll need. If you want more sound our do go forced induction, you'll probably want something a little bit better. I have the full SS exhaust on my LS, along with the AEM CAI, making more power is all about how fast you can air in and out of the engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
right right. im going to do the CAI next. Im just looking for the best bang for the buck, and the salvage yard that has the car is pretty well priced compared to aftermarket parts, i guess.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I know alot of people say to stay away from ebay parts, but I've heard some pretty good things about some of the exhausts for the 2.2 Cobalts on a few of the other Cobalt forums... I'm debating getting one myself, but with my new purchase of my SS I'm probbaly going to focus on parts for that more then my LS now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i never thought about ebay, ill have to look into it.

so you think its not as beneficial to do aftermarket headers and a downpipe with the stock ss/sc exhaust? versus an aftermarket exhaust i guess

·
Registered
922 Posts
If I do continue playing with the LS, I would be going from the header back again. Each one is pretty much equally as important. Your exhaust system will only be as good as its weakest point.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Generally speaking, stock components (i.e exhausts) are designed to be built cheaply and in large quantities. That often translates into poor design, materials and efficiency. Practically any aftermarket exhaust would be an improvement over what you get from the factory, but you would seldom see a gain without completing the entire system. That means a header back.

eBay sells a few inexpensive catbacks that work just as well as the more expensive ones. They're stainless steel and mandrel bent, so they'll flow well and last long. The only real difference between brands would be the muffler design. Generally, the bigger the name, the better the sound, but performance would be the same across all brands.

Another thing you'll have to think of is piping diameter. If you plan on staying NA or a mild SC build, 2.25"-2.5" would be optimal. Turbos would be 3" or higher, but that's a whole other bag of worms.

Also, if you plan on tuning, you would need a wideband O2 sensor and bung. This'll readout your precise AFR, which your tuner will need to get the most out of your tune. This would be a part of your DP along with your cat and oxygen sensors.

Lastly, the header is what collects your exhaust gases to pass through your exhaust system. They come in 3 basic styles:

Shorty - strong low end, low top end
Midlength - medium low and, medium top end
Longtube - weak low end, high top end

---------- Post added at 10:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 PM ----------

I wrote all that on my phone. Talk about dedication lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I appreciate the input plainjane. I think I'm going to get a zzp down pipe with this ss/sc exhaust and do the headers at a later date along with a cai.

All the help is much appreciated!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
I don't believe the ZZP downpipe would fit a stock exhaust manifold, but I may be mistaken. In any case, they sell them as a combo so it's best you invest in that. I have a ZZP midlength with 1.75" primaries (diameter of exhaust runners to collector) w/200 cell cat, AEM wideband and a GMPP catback on my NA L61. All together it was about $1300. It sounds good, and has a bit more guts at high engine speed at the cost of some low end torque.

I wouldn't claim to be a modding guru by any stretch of the term, but I've learned a few things from my time here on this forum. Stick around, ask plenty of questions and do some research. It never hurts to learn.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Will the lsj header, and dp work on an auto 2.2 also, or are they tranny specific.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Take a trip to MN. I have an SS/SC exhaust all ready to go for you and I know the place to get it installed while you are here!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.