1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What year/s were the SS sedan??
N/A, super, turbo??
Did the sedans only come in a manual??

I ask 'cause I'm looking for 1 but can't seem to find a right answer. Some ads say SS but looks like an LT. I read they only came in a manual but some ads read auto trans. Some ads even read turbo. I just don't know what the sedans came in. Even wiki wasn't too clear. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
2009 is the only year for the lnf (turbo) sedan which would have a manual only, it never got a supercharged engine from the factory in a sedan and any other ss sedan would be the 2.4l N/A which could be had in auto as well

·
Registered
949 Posts
I was pretty sure that there was a 2008 and 2009 Cobalt SS/TC Sedan, which only came in manual.

But yeah, the sedan was never supercharged from the factory, and the only other "SS" sedan was really the "Sport" model with the 2.4l N/A LE5 engine.

The easiest ways to tell if it's an SS/TC sedan are to look at the front bumper, check the engine bay for a turbo (duh), and see if it has the SS interior. Below are some photos of each:

Base Model Cobalt Front Bumper

Note the horizontal lines where there would be fog lights.
On models with fog lights, the horizontal lines are still present.

Cobalt SS/TC Front Bumper

Note the smooth contouring around the fog lights & the lip underneath the bumper.

Cobalt SS/TC Engine Bay

Note the word "turbo" on the valve cover and air pipe across the top of the engine to channel air to the intercooler.

Cobalt SS/TC Interior

Note the 2 tone seats that brandish the "SS" logo, and the boost gauge mounted to the A-Pillar.
In addition, the gauges have a higher maximum speed & different font and color than the base models.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. That sums it all up plain and simple. Looks like im gonna be looking for an '09 SS sedan (if I can even find one). So now I know what to look for.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
2006-2008 where supercharged, 2009-2010 were turbo 2.0's which offerered manual or automatic transmission only on the 2009-2010 years
They never made a supercharged SS sedan, nor could you get the SS/TC sedan with an automatic.

Reactions: Parthros

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
They never made a 2010 Sedan SS, in 2009 they only made 704 TC/SS

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 AM ----------

They never made a supercharged SS sedan, nor could you get the SS/TC sedan with an automatic.
Except for 10 RCMP interceptor cream in colour that were automatic. I sat in one, don't know if they were modified after or special ordered though. But the RCMP that had one was from the Truro precinct and told me they were special ordered. He couldn't tell me what transmission it had but it was definitely an auto. And did it ever go!

·
Registered
949 Posts
Huh, strange, I've never heard of any police ordering Cobalts.

Do you think it was maybe a 2.4l "SS" instead of a 2.0l boosted one? I'm pretty sure the biggest reason Chevy never made the SS/SC in automatic is because of the clearance issues with the supercharger pulley.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Except for 10 RCMP interceptor cream in colour that were automatic. I sat in one, don't know if they were modified after or special ordered though. But the RCMP that had one was from the Truro precinct and told me they were special ordered. He couldn't tell me what transmission it had but it was definitely an auto. And did it ever go!
That would be a fleet order, so yeah, they're usually able to custom-order it however they want.

---------- Post added at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 AM ----------

Huh, strange, I've never heard of any police ordering Cobalts.

Do you think it was maybe a 2.4l "SS" instead of a 2.0l boosted one? I'm pretty sure the biggest reason Chevy never made the SS/SC in automatic is because of the clearance issues with the supercharger pulley.
Well, they never really produced an SS/TC in an auto either, except that example Coby mentioned. You could get an auto in an HHR SS, though.

·
Registered
949 Posts
The only thing I've found so far is one random 2007 Cobalt from Brooke County Police Department. Looks like just a base model though.

Brooke County

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Reactions: Parthros

·
Registered
949 Posts
That would be a fleet order, so yeah, they're usually able to custom-order it however they want.
Huh, that's pretty cool. TIL.

Well, they never really produced an SS/TC in an auto either, except that example Coby mentioned. You could get an auto in an HHR SS, though.
I knew about that, actually, although I've always assumed it was because Chevy was making a pure enthusiast car, therefore no slushbox transmission. No clearance issues for the SS/TC, just moral issues :laugh: (See: Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio)

Yeah, just a 4-lug LT.
Funny, that's usually the first thing I check to see if it's a base model, but totally glossed over it. I think I was just dumbfounded at the fact that a police department ordered a base model Cobalt!

---------- Post added at 09:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 AM ----------

2006-2008 where supercharged, 2009-2010 were turbo 2.0's which offerered manual or automatic transmission only on the 2009-2010 years
They never made a 2010 Sedan SS, in 2009 they only made 704 TC/SS
To expand on all of this, and have all the info in one post:

2005-2007 Cobalt SS was supercharged, and only available in coupe body style with a manual transmission.
2008-2010 Cobalt SS was turbocharged, and was available in both coupe and sedan with a manual transmission. SS/TC Sedans were only available in 2009.

2006-2007 Cobalt "SS" had a 2.4l naturally aspirated engine, and was available as a coupe or sedan, with a manual transmission.
2008 Cobalt Sport had the same 2.4l naturally aspirated engine, available as a coupe or sedan, but introduced the option of an automatic transmission.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Cobalt#Year-to-year_changes

If any of this is inaccurate, please let me know so I can update the post. Don't wanna have wrong info floating around if I can help it.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
I just found a 2006 Cobalt SS with a 2.4 and automatic transmission

And it's A4 door

What kind of mileage will a 2.4 get?

Will it be the same as my 206 Cobalt with a 2.2 4 door?
They were rated the same by the EPA, so I wouldn't expect much of a difference.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Were taking a Sport with the 2.4L and turbocharging that. Scored a nice SS interior from a totaled sedan with 30k on it. Already
replaced the carpet and mats as well as extra noise suppression matting. My son has had this since new and purchased a new Jeep so it's a project car now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.