Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about upgrading my cars stock internals and go for a stage 1 upgrade to it, forged internals, forced induction... upgraded clutch, transmission... etc... does anyone know if all that work would be worth it for a 2.2L N/A XFE model?

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Thinking about upgrading my cars stock internals and go for a stage 1 upgrade to it, forged internals, forced induction... upgraded clutch, transmission... etc... does anyone know if all that work would be worth it for a 2.2L N/A XFE model?
Banker is the one to talk to about that. Also just so you know, the only difference in the 2.2 and the 2.2 XFE is the tune essentially. It's all the same.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Banker is the one to talk to about that. Also just so you know, the only difference in the 2.2 and the 2.2 XFE is the tune essentially. It's all the same.
Alright... I kind of figured it was the same engine... just tuned different... looking into stage one upgrades to the Manual trans... so that once I get the forged internals and forced induction the trans won't blow due to not being able to handle the added power

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Alright... I kind of figured it was the same engine... just tuned different... looking into stage one upgrades to the Manual trans... so that once I get the forged internals and forced induction the trans won't blow due to not being able to handle the added power
You'd be suprised at how much the trans can actually handle. The clutch honestly should be the only thing you need to upgrade trans wise. I was running fine over 500whp on my stock trans for my ss. It's hard to break a trans honestly, and your 2.2 even fully built won't make enough to break it. Unless you just want different gearing and that's why you're upgrading.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The stock trans has taller gears than the normal non-XFE cobalt... geared for max fuel economy... Looking to change the gear ratios slightly to better be able to transfer the power to the wheels >:)

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
ok. why not just get a trans out of an ls or lt or something like that. Would probably cost less than getting the upgrade

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
For FI, yes, stg 3 or higher for you bud :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah, alright... And thus why I am checking around through the cobalt community seeking advice prior to starting the build :) Want to get the job done right the first time... rather than have a major failure later on because I didn't go for the right part

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Check my show off thread. It'll show you everything you'll need. I just dyno'd 348whp on my 2.2 on only 12 pounds of boost
Ah alright... I appreciate the advice :) and that is pretty good HP for a Slobalt :p that would be quite fun to do with this car :)

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
i don't think bankers balt qualifies as a "slobalt" anymore.....
I do! The day he can beat me or keep up with me I'll make sure not to call it a slobalt anymore :laugh::toung::toung::love:

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
he has a point there levee.... I don't think he would have any problem keeping up with yours, just park next to it and shut it off......

1 - 20 of 107 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.