Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanna put the weapon-r intake and gm stage 1 and 2. Would it be better to buy the GM kit and weapon r intake or make a stage kit (buy all the stuff seperatly) and then get a tune? Im guessing it would be cheaper to make my own kit even with the additional cost of a tune..???? is their a tuner out their who already has a set program for this setup??

·
Registered
162 Posts
im pretty sure that if you go GM stage 2, you can do so without a tune. Not totally sure however, always thought it was the stage 3 bump a new tune was needed or something like that.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I wanna put the weapon-r intake and gm stage 1 and 2. Would it be better to buy the GM kit and weapon r intake or make a stage kit (buy all the stuff seperatly) and then get a tune? Im guessing it would be cheaper to make my own kit even with the additional cost of a tune..???? is their a tuner out their who already has a set program for this setup??
HP Tuners....what do you mean by sage 1 AND 2???
im pretty sure that if you go GM stage 2, you can do so without a tune. Not totally sure however, always thought it was the stage 3 bump a new tune was needed or something like that.
Go w/out a tune??? whats wrong w/ you?

what are your power goals my friend??

·
Registered
284 Posts
when you buy the stage 2 you have to already have the stage one installed... or you buy the stage 1 and 2 combo... as some parts stay on for stage 2 from stage 1.

and when you have the dealer install it they reflash your computer with the correct tune for what stage you bought so it will already be "tuned"... so XXXcooljay is right you dont need to tune it.......

·
Registered
257 Posts
those "factory" tunes are better than a dyno tune w/ HPT....is that what your saying?

BTW, the stage 2 does have a specific ECU calibration rather than use the stage 1.

·
Registered
284 Posts
no i didnt say that... but when you replyed to him with whats wrong with you... i was just saying that the car will run fine with the stage2 tune he will get... and it is still under warrenty... and that stage 2 has some nice safe hp out of it... yeah a dyno tune will get you more power but thats more money and you dont have to do it...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ok so to answer your questions before the thread becomes another arguement, It would prob be a lot easier to just buy the staging kits off of GM instead of making your own. You use some of the same parts through stages so. As for the tune, like it was send, they will reflash your computer and you will have pretty much a stock tune. You could go get a custom tune, or even fine a standalone but that would cost money and possibly void your warranty most likely. Hope this answered your questions.

PS thanks for backing me up on that recarobalt, was pretty sure didnt need a specific tune.

·
Registered
284 Posts
no problem....

·
Registered
673 Posts
This thread kind of confused me a little, I guess I should have skipped happy hour after work today.

Anyway, Just get Stage 2. It has it's own separate part number which is 17803229. Stay the hell away from "canned tunes" from vendors who piece their own kit together and want to flash your ecu. Those tunes are not made for your climate and car and are often times on the edge of lean so they can brag about the power they are making. This results in your screwing up your car. GMs tune is conservative but very safe.

If you can tune yourself then you can save some money, or if you have a friend that can tune. However dyno time is not cheap and neither is a good tuner. Expect to pay 150$ an hour and if you are searching for a tuner make sure they have superchager and HP Tuners experience. Also you will need to buy HP Tuners or if the tuner has it HP Tuner credits which I think are 150$.

·
Registered
257 Posts
in reality your wasting more money w/ a stage 2 set up and a stage 1 tune since your not getting the most out of your mods....waste of money to me...i would rather have it tuned and put out a better out put than spend the money and not have it do what it's meant to....call me crazy:?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Ok so to answer your questions before the thread becomes another arguement, It would prob be a lot easier to just buy the staging kits off of GM instead of making your own. You use some of the same parts through stages so. As for the tune, like it was send, they will reflash your computer and you will have pretty much a stock tune. You could go get a custom tune, or even fine a standalone but that would cost money and possibly void your warranty most likely. Hope this answered your questions.

PS thanks for backing me up on that recarobalt, was pretty sure didnt need a specific
tune.
There is no possibly, it will. The dealer may not notice but if you have a major failure and the GM rep gets called in he will notice and you will be buying your own parts and paying for the labor.

IMADreamer added 1 Minutes and 34 Seconds later...

in reality your wasting more money w/ a stage 2 set up and a stage 1 tune since your not getting the most out of your mods....waste of money to me...i would rather have it tuned and put out a better out put than spend the money and not have it do what it's meant to....call me crazy:?
Yeah you're crazy. I'll take stage 2 anyday over someone elses tune. My own tune no, someone elses canned shit yes. Stage 2 is quality for someone who can't tune and wants a warranty and it's a HUGE step up from stock.

·
Registered
257 Posts
There is no possibly, it will. The dealer may not notice but if you have a major failure and the GM rep gets called in he will notice and you will be buying your own parts and paying for the labor.

IMADreamer added 1 Minutes and 34 Seconds later...

Yeah you're crazy. I'll take stage 2 anyday over someone elses tune. My own tune no, someone elses canned shit yes. Stage 2 is quality for someone who can't tune and wants a warranty and it's a HUGE step up from stock.
uh...yea...software + dyno....that is what i said right?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hmmm ok so stage 2 it is.

If I were to install aftermarket exhaust, intake, and possibly headers, would I still be ok with the gm tune?? Im guessing I would have to go to the tuner????

·
Registered
257 Posts
hmmm ok so stage 2 it is.

If I were to install aftermarket exhaust, intake, and possibly headers, would I still be ok with the gm tune?? Im guessing I would have to go to the tuner????
you dont HAVE to...but it's up to you....it wont take a ubber amount off your times...however it will help if that makes sense...LOL

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
regarding the gm tune vs. custom with the added upgrades, i would not be as worried about power as i would about it running to rich/lean...

·
Registered
162 Posts
what were pretty much saying is that, you car will be fine. If you get another tune, it would prob put out better numbers if you have some decent injectors etc. If you leave it on a stock tune, imo keeping your warranty you'd be better off.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
sweeet. So like I said im going with the secret weapon R intake, stage II, looking for suggestions on exhaust and headers. But where is the best/cheapest place online to buy??? Lastly, if I install all the stuff my-self, will I void my warrenty?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
is their a huge difference from the cheaper "megans racing exhaust" vs borla or magnaflow??

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.