Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I drive an 05 Cobalt with about 160 000km on it. I'm up here in Canada where we're currently at -10. Anyway, the past week and the cold weather have brought some problems (I am assuming they are related?).

1. CEL comes on. I check the gas cap as the car is running fine. The light then goes off for 3 or 4 days, no problems.

2. 4 days later, I start the car in the cold weather. It's slow to start, but nothing uncommon. I let it warm for 7 or so minutes. I drive 5 minutes to my work. I come back out to start the car again and it doesn't turn (the dome light, radio, vent, etc. all work fine). The Security lock image appears. I turn the key back, wait 5 minutes and it starts fine.

3. Today, about 5 days since this last incident, my car is very slow to turn over (3 seconds after I turn the key before I hear anything). It starts, but the CEL is on and I have a 'REdUCED ENGINE POWER' warning. I turn the car off. I wait 5 minutes. It turns on again (with the same delay) but this time no reduced power, and it drives fine. The CEL remains.

I don't know if these are all related issues or separate, or how much the cold is affecting the car. I have had great advice on here before and hope to get some again before I get rinsed at the dealership. Any ideas?"?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
How old is your battery?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
One bad cell will bring voltage down to less than eleven volts. If all other cells are in top shape it will still start, it will still run. But a lot of the sensors have a regulated 11 volt and they don't like anything lower so funny stuff happens with a bad cell. Get your battery checked. Check the voltage to see where it's at at rest.(engine not running) It should be at least 12.3 Volts. Most batteries last about 5 years.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.