Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided that I wanted to change the color of my drums and calipers...
Before I had the rear drums Red and the front calipers stock and not painted.

Stage one: (strip paint and primer)

More pictures to come tomorrow once I finish them

Plans for them. Front and rear to be Ferrari Yellow with the word "BALT" in Black showing through the Yellow
Hard to explain but hope it turns out well!
Let me know what you think when done.
I will update this once finished

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Bright colored drums FTL! Paint the fronts whatever you want, but the rears should be black to hide in the shadows IMO but to each there own..

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you like the red i had before?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, To me its just ugly but thats IMO. I've been playing around with colors to see what best fits the car and what I think looks best.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Just in my opinion I think drums should not be painted a bright color. IMO you should not bring attention to your rear drums.. But like I said to each there own. Painted any color still looks better than rusty!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah when i got the car they were Brown and rusty, I tried to paint black but after a while I thought that it looked bad so I changed it to red, It faded so i bought some nonfading red and clear coat. I applied that and it was good though out the winter(well most of it) The salt here in the winter time ate the paint away showing the black and rust again. So today i sanded everything down to bare metal and now I'm going to try it again. I primed it (which is shown) and I will try this other paint that I bought. If I get tired of it I may go back to black or some other color

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Yeah, i wouldnt want my dums to stick out at all. Paint the calipers for sure, and like others said, hide those drums.

·
Registered
610 Posts
any suggestions of what brand of paint to use?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
i agree with daman the bright colors do not fit well with the actual color of the car the white primer actually looks pretty sick but bright colors dont look good IMO

·
Registered
78 Posts
where u get it at walmart and regular clear coat will work wont it??????????

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Caliper paint is fine for the calipers -- they get hot but not as hot as the surfaces of the drum that the brakes hit. For longer lasting paint on the drums you might consider a black exhaust temp paint.

I tried the caliper paint in the slots of my rotors and the caliper paint burned out after burnishing the brakes (new brake installation requirement when I installed the ceramic pads).

·
Registered
159 Posts
I used Semi-Gloss Engine Paint by Dupli-Color for my rear drums and silver caliper paint from Dupli-Color and it looks really good. I got it from Advance Auto Parts. The Semi-Gloss looks really good and it will withstand heat and what not. I didn't clear coat them cuz it was already semi-gloss and I didn't want gloss cuz I didn't want the drum to outshine my wheels.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.