Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Helpz mez please!! Ok so I've been having this problem for about the past two weeks now. Everytime I fill my tank with gas (no amount specified) and I try to start it up, it always has a hard time, it would either take a while to start or it will start then barely run on low idle then just shut off. After I would get it started it would start fine the next time I try. Any solutions to this?

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
water in the gas?
mine did something similar, try a can of that stuff that gets water out of the tank & see if that helps (its in a red & white can, cant remember the name)

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
50 Posts
the bottle of stuff is called HEET
or iso-HEET

its basically a form of Alcohol that binds to the water.

another thing to check would be the fuel filter. and stick to top tier gas.

·
Registered
253 Posts
^^^ agreed 1 bottle for every 10-15gallons and see if it works.. if not then have the pump checked.. =( sorry to hear!

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
In tank G?? A fuel leak will not make your car not run on a full tank. Have you checked your fuel filter?

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WELL my car smells like fuel..I think that's from the leak..No I haven't..where's that at?

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Well, there are 2 filters actually. the first one is on the pump/sending unit itself inside the tank (which is the one I'm thinking is getting clogged), and the second one is an in-line filter, and that should be somewhere between the passenger door and rear axle right next to the "frame rail". I think it's your sending unit filter as when you are putting fuel in, it's stirring up contaminents from the bottom of your tank (got there from bad gas over time which happens) and is causing it to plug your filter until you shut your car off for a while to let the sediments settle. :)

·
mmmm rice<3
837 Posts
this happened to me when i got my balt. i ws getting gas at sheetz...n it would always do it, now i get americian gas( kwik fill) andit never does it. the closest it comes to is the idle bounces between 500 n 1000 once in a while, but never shuts off knock on wood. try diff gaas

·
Registered
9 Posts
if it's not that, I had a '03 Malibu that didn't always like to start up warm..the fuel pressure regulator has a rubber diaphragm that, over time, will leak raw fuel into the intake, causing a rich condition. not sure if this applies to newer cobalts or not, but worth thinking about. crappy gas will cause lots of problems too, especially with ethanol :mad:

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
IIRC it's every 60k miles.

·
Registered
667 Posts
60K for a fuel filter, the one outside of the tank is a 10 minute job. Its pretty easy to change. Id try that. It made a difference when I changed mine.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
182 Posts
Ifn you yank the filter, dont forget to clean the end off first, the blow into it , in the direction the fuel would have traveled. This will confirm if it wsas bad or not, if not, you will have to search more for your problem. (when blowing in, a clogged filter will prevent one from blowing easily)......

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:13 PM ----------

the bottle of stuff is called HEET
or iso-HEET

its basically a form of Alcohol that binds to the water.

another thing to check would be the fuel filter. and stick to top tier gas.
The top tier isue is controversial.....there is no evidence that this is beneficial to gasoline engines. There also is no evidence that it is NOT beneficial. gas pipeline comes from one point in Texas, along the south, into FL, then heads north and ends in NJ. Different companies tap into the same pipe......A lot of hoopla/propaganda in marketing different brands.......

Top tier is, I believe, not your issue here.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.