Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as i have stated in the past I have a pre owned 2009 Chevy Cabolt LT.
First problem that was fixed was had the steering shaft snap while driving it on the highway. Then had a time with an air bag light that would not turn off. Then had the problem with MPG . That is still up in the air for I found that there is gas with out ethanol by Gulf. But now it is 17 MPG. WOW
Now we have another problem and the car only has 22,200 miles on it . I find that now when I go up hills I have the oder of exhaust inside the car. And turn on the heater and it is like there is an exhaust pipe inside the car. I have noticed it in the past when ever I was behind someone I would smell there exhaust. And with having two other car that I never had that problem I knew there was something wrong.
But like the bandage the dealer placed on the MPG due to ethanol I feel that they will once again blow it off and tell me to drive with the windows open. So I have not had it back to the dealer to be checked.
Any one here have any idea on how I should go about having it tested so that when I do go back to the dealer I will have some way of proving what i am tell them.
As for the lemon law I was told that only applys to new car purchase and it has to be the same thing over an over again. Because this was a pre owned with 19,696 on it when I got it that law dose not apply to this car.
Now before I go please do not go by if it is telling you I am login for I have been having a problem with my pc that once I am logon I can not logoff.

·
Registered
248 Posts
dosn't your car have a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty???

my 05 cobalt is doing fine, i bought it on november 28th 2009 with 77K miles on it and 2 previous owners.

today my friend tried to open the front door and it wouldn't open:eek:h: we locked the car, then unlocked it, then repeated until it would open.

The gas mileage thing on the dash says i get around 22-25 mpg but i only drive on city streets and it says my average speed is 30. so it sound about right but i wish it was more.

i have no warranty but sense it will probually be some what cheap, i might get one for a couple years so when i sell it the buyer can have something to look at.

i suggest that you get one too, could be a waist of money, could be a life saver, but either way it is a gamble. do some research and develope your own opinion; but if you do get it and you sell, that will make the buyer by it fast as hell.:nuts:

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I dont understand. BRING it to the dealer and B*TCH B*TCH B*TCH. Until you get what you want. the car still has warranty, they have to frigin fix it. make them find the problem, or have another trusted mechanic find the problem as a second opinion and present it to them. Bug them, follow up on it until it is fixed. Call GM headquarters if you have to. My new 09 has no problems so far but as soon as I find the smallest thing, it"s back to the dealer i go and fixed like new until my warranty is up. Fight for it man dont be soft. Or else it will cost you money.

·
Registered
166 Posts
i just got my 05 ls from a local dealer on tuesday and ive been smelling a rough odor like burnt rubber. a dealer told me it was a freshly clean car smell. id smelt this on my old school bus. so i knew it wasnt that. and then tonight my check engine light came on. so i took it to autozone and checked the code and he said its probally a problem with the fuel injector...the car has 54k miles on it and has more problems now than my 94 pathfinder did with 180k. great car with a lot of good qualities... but i just wanna drive the damn thing but now its gonna be in a shop for a good couple days.

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
That is still up in the air for I found that there is gas with out ethanol by Gulf. But now it is 17 MPG. WOW

Using E10 ethanol will not cause this. You have a big problem... U did not put E85 in your car did you?

Now we have another problem and the car only has 22,200 miles on it .

Chevy's warranty on your car is transferable, and you still have it, but you will have to fight them every step of the way.

I find that now when I go up hills I have the oder of exhaust inside the car. And turn on the heater and it is like there is an exhaust pipe inside the car. I have noticed it in the past when ever I was behind someone I would smell there exhaust. And with having two other car that I never had that problem I knew there was something wrong.

You MUST take it back NOW. If you have exhaust coming in the car you have carbon monoxide coming in the car, and that crap is lethal!!!

But like the bandage the dealer placed on the MPG due to ethanol I feel that they will once again blow it off and tell me to drive with the windows open. So I have not had it back to the dealer to be checked.

I hate to say this, but you may have to threaten to sue them. I really hate doing this, but you bought a car still under warranty for a reason.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes, they have to fix it. I would call the headquarters and complain. If that doesnt do anything then I guess you would have to sue them.

·
Registered
248 Posts
That is still up in the air for I found that there is gas with out ethanol by Gulf. But now it is 17 MPG. WOW

Using E10 ethanol will not cause this. You have a big problem... U did not put E85 in your car did you?

Now we have another problem and the car only has 22,200 miles on it .

Chevy's warranty on your car is transferable, and you still have it, but you will have to fight them every step of the way.

I find that now when I go up hills I have the oder of exhaust inside the car. And turn on the heater and it is like there is an exhaust pipe inside the car. I have noticed it in the past when ever I was behind someone I would smell there exhaust. And with having two other car that I never had that problem I knew there was something wrong.

You MUST take it back NOW. If you have exhaust coming in the car you have carbon monoxide coming in the car, and that crap is lethal!!!

I hate to say this, but you may have to threaten to sue them. I really hate doing this, but you bought a car still under warranty for a reason.

ohh hell yahh...take advantage of the situattion your in. try again to see if they'll fix it, if not then sue them for carbon monoxide poisoning; hate to say this but the only way you will win from that is if you crash because you felt as if you were passing out (a result from carbon monoxide).

if you did that and crashed, faked it or not; you would get millions. not even being sarcastic, well maybe a couple hundred thousand lol but it would be a fat check fo sho.

or if you dont have the time or money then use will mpg's advice and call headquarters about the mono. and other stuff. trust me they will fix it soon.

if u sue then get hours of research before doing so!!!!:blink1:

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Called GM and told them that I would smell exhaust inside the car . They called my dealer only to find they had gone for the day. So I am to take it in tomorrow 12/15/09 and find out what is going on . GM will be doing its own follow up on the problem to see if it gets fixed.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
ohh hell yahh...take advantage of the situattion your in. try again to see if they'll fix it, if not then sue them for carbon monoxide poisoning; hate to say this but the only way you will win from that is if you crash because you felt as if you were passing out (a result from carbon monoxide).

if you did that and crashed, faked it or not; you would get millions. not even being sarcastic, well maybe a couple hundred thousand lol but it would be a fat check fo sho.

or if you dont have the time or money then use will mpg's advice and call headquarters about the mono. and other stuff. trust me they will fix it soon.

if u sue then get hours of research before doing so!!!!:blink1:
dude that's ridiculous, you should never EVER risk your life just to try and sue someone for money. Pure negligence. I know you want to have input and stuff in the forum but if you don't have tons of experience in the matter then just don't comment, it's better for everyone that way. Not tryin to be mean but come on, man.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Called GM and told them that I would smell exhaust inside the car . They called my dealer only to find they had gone for the day. So I am to take it in tomorrow 12/15/09 and find out what is going on . GM will be doing its own follow up on the problem to see if it gets fixed.
good! hopefully some justice will be served. well done and good luck with your dealer.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Took car back to dealer and they just brushed it off telling me I did not know how to drive the car. Told this to GM and they said they would call that dealer to have the car checked. I told GM that I would take it to a different dealer but not the one I purchased it from for they told me that they checked the filters in the car but I had a friend check them and found that all were the original filters. So that tells me they are not doing the work they say they are doing.
I also told my dealer that when I fill the car up that I would smell gas for about a day or so. There answer to this was do not top off the tank. Only fill to the full mark.
Most of the time when you get a car worked on you get a computer printout of what the problem is and what was done . This time all they gave me was a multi-point vehicle inspection paper and all they checked was the wipers and tires and fluid levels. They did not even check any of the following interior, battery, brakes, inspect for visible leaks. So in other work they did not check what I ask them to.

·
Registered
248 Posts
take it to another dealer then, or shop, what ever u can and see if they can find something wrong with it, if u can do that...

and HELLLLZZZ no i didnt mean for him to crash purposley. I was saying that if he did sue they would probualy not do anything and just make more lies but if he crashed because of it then he would definatly win and get money no matter what...

and I was saying to do research before the sue because they always pull out tricks and lies to make u feel wrong. With research find stuff to say to do the same to them, well technicaly thats what lawyers do but you never know if u have a sucky lawyer.

like will said carbon monoxide is deadly so maybe consider putting a monoxide sensor in there, the ones that go in homes, or just drive with windows open and/or heater off.

hope no one else got confused from the last reply and i hope this made better sense.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Car fax will not show anything if the vehicle was wreekced and not reported, some rental agencies do such tactics. Also some dealers will do that if it was damaged on the lot. Just like all the Hurricane katrina flood cars that showed up in the mid west all messed up and smelling like funky mud and water in the headlights.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
From what I found so far this car came for Mississippi and then was sent to the western states and then came back east. So you may have a point there. That would explain why no other dealer I have tryed to take it to will do anything on it . They all tell me to take it back where you got it from to have work done on it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.