Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i moved to texas for certain reasons from ohio and in november its time to get a new sticker/tags. but i plan to move back to ohio in jan or feb. does anyone know how long sum1 has to get everything switched once they move into a state? or can this be considered visiting since my mail isnt sent here? i am moving back soon so id hate to pay all the cost here then turn around and pay it there also. i have contacted the department of transportation hopefully they can give me info

·
Banned
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no i live with my dad at the moment. my actual address is still in ohio but i have them send me the mail here is all only thing im worried bout is i got insurance here cause it was easier to pay for it and iv been working here also so when i send in my paper work there going to see that its coming from texas and going to wonder why that is?

·
Banned
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well iv read info on it as far as i know from it it says i need an emissions test which an inspection sticker to be driving here but as far as my tags and license i can easily say im visiting since my perminent address is in ohio but hopefully they dont say nething about me working here but if they new the situaion theyd understand why .... maybe never know about ppl in this world

·
Cornier Than Ethanol
866 Posts
Yeah. I guess you can be lucky in the fact that if you're ever pulled over, you don't have to tell them you work there. You being insured there instead of OH could be the issue though.

·
Cornier Than Ethanol
866 Posts
I guess it varies by state. IL is big on using insurance at the DMV, for titles, licenses, etc... I guess I'm thinking more if you get pulled over though (knock on wood). THe TX police probably wouldn't like it too much if you were licensed in one state and insured in another and it could be problematic. But, if the OH DMV won't make you prove ins. then you should be fine to register there.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
If it is only for 3-4 months you can say you are ony visiting, college students do it all the time. Military is a differetn ball game. However, depending on what kind of job you are working also dictates if you should change your tags. I have been where I am at for 7 months now and have only changed tags and I am keeping my insurance where it was at to save money.
One of my previous moves, I went 6 months before I changed states, and that was with my wife working AT the police department. Just pay the insurance and tags online, and your tag in enough time to get the new sticker in Texas.

·
Cornier Than Ethanol
866 Posts
I thik he's trying to avoid getting a TX sticker and then an OH one again in a few months. Even if he hears bad news from the DMV, he doesn't have to tell them who he is, so he won't have to commit to anything. It would be better though if his ins. listed the OH address.

·
Banned
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^^ i dont understand taht.....but neway i contacted them and they said to get my tags and license in texas then when i move back to ohio get it there also which is bull shit and alot of money. i have insurance here because i had it taking out of my checking acc. but i cancelled it but my address is still in ohio and i still have an ohio dl but in nov. its time to get a new sticker and i either can mail them the money to get one or get all of it here ..... either way im prolly screwed if i wer to get pulled over they would want to no why i have insurance here but an ohio license and tags. but i only have about 2 months till i move back so i STILL dk what to do

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
I have my insurance based in my previous state(where I still own a house) and all the paperwork sent to where I am living now. Where I am living now is more expensive, so I pay all the bills online. Cops really do not care about different states and insurance and such as long as it is not a big fine or they see you in a local work uniform, they have no way to prove you are a resident there.
And residency refers to permanent residency, as in you moved there for a foreseeable future, not for a few months. Other wise many workers would be in the same boat you are in. Many construction workers go state to state for months at a time, so it is a big pain to switch every 3-6 months.

·
Banned
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so its normal that ppl get new insurance in the state there located in but not living in? like i said i only got insurance here because i had it takin out of my checking acc. and i had to cancel it so therefore i got insurance here to make things easier.

·
Banned
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
im trying to find out how to get my new sticker from ohio sent here

---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 PM ----------

and what if i get pulled over is the police not going to say anything with me having insurance here and license from there?

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Nowadays as long as you have insurance on the car that is all that matters. If you do get pulled over tell them:
I am a student here
or
My parents are divorced and I am helping the one out before and after health issues.

As long as you are not working ofr any type of government entity is will not matter, people do it all the time. And Ohio can send you stickers thru the mail if you pay ahaead of time, I have had many college and military friends do that.

·
Banned
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i do work here but i transfered cause i needed to work while i was here cause i have bills but i just ordered my reg. and sticker from ohio threw online i just had it sent to my place of residence and told them to mail them here so all is well now. i hate stupid laws lol and thanks for all the help everyone

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.