Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After twice installing quick struts and still hearing ping noises and rough ride my mechanic called Monroe and they said they fixed the issue and would send 2 new ones.
First off-why didn't they recall the defective products?
Well, they installed these 'fixed' quick struts and wouldn't you know it, same problem. The springs are just not the right size.
Now he has to order the springs from Chevy.

I've been going though this for over a month now and wasted numerous days off and grief.
Monroe should be sued for this. I'm not sure which agency to contact but I am going to file a complaint against them.

I won't trust Monroe again

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's Monroe.
No problem, i don't want anyone to go through what I am.
My mechanic is trying to get their money back plus labor costs. I am going to call Monroe as well and see if i can get anything back from them for this aggravation but I doubt it. In that case i will file a complaint with the BBB and Attorney general.
Next week they are going to order kyb struts and install those instead.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just had them installed. They had to use some kind of plate from the quick struts but they said it wasn't an important piece and shouldn't affect anything (its not the mounting plate).
I only drove it local and not on the freeway yet, so far so good. It feels fine to me.
I will post here again after I drive it some more

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
This is why if you want to upgrade or even replace you should go to crate depot and get the SS struts that work ten times better and they only cost 300.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
^wow that sucks.....I don't know how you could have spend $1400 on this though.

I got ss/tc struts/shocks and B&G lowering springs all for around $400-450 and installed it all with my dad in under 4 hours. No suspension problems for almost 2 years now (knock on wood) which is awesome since the roads here are horrific and I am lowered.

You can order a good control arm from crateenginedepot for under $150 I believe as well...

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
$800 for front struts and rear shocks
$200 for sway bar end links
$300 for Sway bar bushings

Oops, $1300. Probably the only thing that helped at all were the sway bar bushings.
After the front end was dropped to install the struts it seems like all hell broke loose. In any case the car takes turns better but the ride is still awful.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
damn...glad I ordered my stuff online :p

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The car is still pulling to the left. My mechanic changed the strut mounts and the issue seems to be still there. They think it could be the wheel bearings or ball joints. One also mentioned issues with the power steering motor.
The Dealer agreed to refund my money though for the sway bar bushings so at least I got some good news.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
81 Posts
There is an ongoing problem with the monroe quick struts for our cars. I'm on my second set due to the coil springs binding and causing the coils to rub against each other. If this happens to anyone using quick struts, call Monroe and tell them what problems you're experiencing. They've been more than willing to send me replacements to rectify the problem and they are sending me my third set via ups this week. They say they are aware of the design problem... I just wish they would send me the "updated" quick struts.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Contact the better business bureau
They will help you take legal action to get your money back and more.
Considering they knew their product was defective help your case A LOT!
don't put this on hold longer you wait the less likely your case will win, cuz it shows you really didn't care as much as you shoild have.

[Insert signature here]

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks white balt, I'll look into that if the third set is defective as well. I will try to post pictures of the problem concerning the spring coils rubbing against each other so others know what I'm referring to.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.