Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad has an 06 Cobalt LS 2.2L that is having steering issues. It feels like it’s sticking or binding sometimes when turning. His car was not covered under the power steering recall. I replaced the power steering assist motor and the module (from a donor car) and it seemed to help but not fix it. We also already replaced the intermediate shaft with an AC Delco part. The only thing I am thinking that is left is the rack and pinion. What do you all think?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mine is steering OK I think, but what I notice is a little play movement in the steering wheel, what could be causing this problem? Not meaning to high jack the thread, sorry.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The racks on these cars are notorious for the clunk and jamming problems. Also the Malibus with electric steering have the same issue. I’ve run into quite a few of the cars that have an issue like yours and has been a worn out rack and pinion assembly. Make sure it’s not the tie rod ends first.

The one in my car is fairly tight. But it has a clunk to it. Although it really doesn’t bother me too much, I might invest in a new rack in the near future since I’ve been replacing things on the car since I bought it last year. I really don’t know if my car had the steering assist motor replaced yet either, it’s an ‘06. So who knows. It didn’t have any maintenance records and appears it was poorly maintained until I bought it. Probably the only thing the car had going for it was it was gently driven before I got it. I’ve bought lots of different things to make it a nice car now. Luckily I do all the work myself and have a shop to work in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Definetly look at your rack. my boots on mine had 2 or 3 small holes in then and water got in causing it to rust and eventually made it to where it would lock up while turning. It was pretty scary. I got one of a parts car i had,took the boots off and threw some grease inside for good measure and made sure the new boots were good and put that on the car and havnt had any issues since.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Friday night I had a look at my rack and pinion. I was just doing an basic inspection to look for worn parts.

I can tell by trying to move the wheel and tire back and forth that the rack is worn. It isn’t loose while driving but has always had a clunk. But I can see the inner tie rod moves up and down where it attaches to the rack.

Luckily the tie rod is still tight. But this will end up causing loose steering and later a binding problem in the future. So I’ll have to do this repair in the near future.

I did however find the squeak that is identified as the rear bushing in the control arm. It’s beginning to separate. Most of the time I find them ripped apart, but it’s still intact.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts