Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'07 LS; EPS, 60K miles

I have an intermittent clunk/clack/grinding noise on low-speed turns. (Intermittent as in, sometimes it won't make the noise for days, while other times it's every slow turn.) It's louder inside the car than out. The noise doesn't seem to depend on turning angle. So, from what I've read, it seems likely the EPS motor is bad. AFAICT, the EPS recall has been done, some years before I bought the car.

Q1: If I pull the EPS out, is it possible to see if it's failed? Like, will a bad one show significant play in the motor shaft?

Q2: RockAuto has a rebuild for $28 (+$10 core + shipping, ... but still.) If anyone has experience with these, I'd appreciate hearing.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Sounds more like an upper strut mount, unless you actually feel at the steering wheel. If road salt gets into the upper strut mount bearing it doesn't take long for it to rust. Intermittence is explained by the bearing picking up grease as it rotates but 2-3 days down the road the rust will show it's ugly face again. These cars are also know for the intermediate shaft going bad. I had 3 Cobalts and had to replace this shaft on all 3. Dorman has a revised upgraded shaft where the exposed U joint is bigger and these last a lot longer. I also covered these with a piece of bicycle tire tube, zip tied and filled with grease. These never ever quit again.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.