Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so I today I tried using my steering wheel buttons for the first time since I had the car and none of them work... I mean none not the cruise or the radio controls and they don't illuminate either. I checked the fuses and they are good but what else could it be is there a module somewhere that needs replacing? Any info would be great

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
If you have the stock radio it should work. Fuse is a 2 amp in the "BCM" fuse block.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Passenger side console kick panel.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ohhhhh I didn't know there was a passenger side I'll check it and see thanks!

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 PM ----------

Ok so the fuse is fine nothing wrong with it. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Do you have stock radio?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Did you you just pull the fuse and look at it or did you replace it. Sometimes they are hard to see if they are blown and fuses are cheep.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Maybe the connector pulled away in the steering wheel column or your clock spring has broken...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It looked fine but I'll stop by walmart on the way home tonight and grab some fuses. How do I go about checking the connector and or clock spring?

·
Registered
589 Posts
My cars steering wheel originally came with only cruise control buttons. I swapped it out to the one with radio controls. Luckily my clock spring was pre-wired for the extra controls but they weren't all wired that way. Do you know if your steering wheel is the original one? Maybe the previous owner replaced the wheel (or button bezels and buttons). Maybe your clock spring isn't wired for the buttons to work.

Just throwing it out there. I dont know what options your car was originally built with.

---------- Post added at 06:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 PM ----------

It looked fine but I'll stop by walmart on the way home tonight and grab some fuses. How do I go about checking the connector and or clock spring?
to check the clock spring, you'll need to remove the air bag and steering wheel. Be sure to disconnect the battery for at least 30 minutes before you attempt to remove the airbag. I'm not sure about checking the connector. I'm assuming there is a way to change out the switches without removing the steering wheel. I have the 4 spoke wheel though. So, I can't help you on that one

·
Registered
65 Posts
Assuming the buttons work similarly to a keyless entry, it could be that the buttons are worn out and are having trouble making a good connection to the board underneath. I had this problem with my key fob and got a part that you slip in between that helps create a good connection. Has anyone seen anything like this for the steering wheel buttons? Keyless Fix was the company that makes the one for key fobs I think.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My money is on the blue connector right behind the air bag. It probably came loose. I'm pretty sure if the clockspring were bad - you would have a CEL due to the BCM not seeing the impedance of the air bag.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.