Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This has been happening for a few months now. When i'm driving between 60-70 mph my steering wheel with start shaking and you can feel in the gas pedal that there is some vibration. Took it to the dealership and they said I need to get my routers turned. Got them turned and still had the same problem. Then they said I needed to replace my rim(because I had hit a curb and put a big dent into it) so I replaced the rim and got all 4 new tires. Still having the same problem so I just recently took it back like 3 weeks ago and then they say that my front two tires are unbalanced and then they decide to scratch that theory out and said that my back axle is bent. I was told that its called my cv shaft and that I need to know if I have drum or disk brakes to replace my rear axle. Does anyone know what is going on with my car? I feel like the dealership is just trying to get money out of me. But are they right or wrong? I'm kinda curious as to how my rear axle can make my steering wheel shake and my gas pedal have some vibration...can someone explain that to me cause it makes no sense.

·
Rocket Power
711 Posts
Also could be CV joints, boots or a bad half shaft?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Does the shaking occur only when you brake, or in general when driving around 60-70 MPH?

Google finds a lot on both of these, just look up "steering wheel shakes when.." then either "braking over 60 MPH" or "driving over 60 MPH." It looks like you've exhausted most of the causes, the dealership might just be ****ing around with you.

·
Registered
680 Posts
My car did this when my tires were horribly out of balance.
It also did this when my rotors were warped but it only happened during braking...
I would watch out for the dealership trying to get your money b/c they can be very good at that

·
Registered
296 Posts
My Wheel shakes especially when braking from speeds of 60+ i am guessing that its my brakes, they haven't been changed in a while and my rear drums have yet to be changed

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
i've never had an alignment when i got new tires. they just balanced the wheels. i'd look into an alignment?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having a similar issue. I just bought some new wheels and tires (17 in Ruff racing r934 wrapped in delinte tires) and i've been getting some serious vibration when braking from medium to high speeds. My tires have been balanced and re-balanced, my rotors have been turned and re-turned with no results. I'm communicating with the site i bought them from to see if i need some extra spacers or different rings or something. At freeway speeds i'll get a little vibration while coasting on and off. Still have little factory brakes so maybe i need bigger ones or something, the dealership wont help me cuz their aftermarket.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
After some searching, I believe if your rear axle was bent you’d feel some sort of vibration coming from the back. Since you said the vibration is in the front, I would take your car into a different shop to get it looked at. It seems fishy to me that the dealership dismissed the least expensive fix (re-balancing the tires) and jumped right to a bent axle.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I have a 2001 Chevy suburban as well and it was doing the shaking thing when i was driving. Got new tires and it was aligned. No problem now.

·
Registered
931 Posts
my best guess... warpt rotors, or.. cobalts have a probelm with the stearing shafts, that causes the wheel to rattle around and a knocking sound to be herd under brakeing

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
OR like you said it could be a bent rear axle bc that happened to the suburban too and it was shaking the shit out of the steering wheel. Little too much rough driving when I was 17 and 18 lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine used to vibrate all the time. I had everything done, balance, alignement, and new tires. Then I got all new brake rotors and now it doesn't shake anymore.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.