Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way home from work my car started shaking when i went above forty. And when i turn either direction even at low speeds it shakes really bad. I replaced both wheel bearings earlier this year so they should be fine. I have about 130,000 miles. I'm thinking it could be the cv joints. All help is appreciated

·
Registered
8 Posts
CV axles will usually be accompanied with a clicking or "thunking" when turning. If you are getting any noise at all like this in turns, then you would be correct. Also, if you jack your car up you should be able to see if the boot is torn (because there will be axle grease all over the bottom of your car)

I am not understanding your question in some parts, when you say the car shakes, is it just the steering wheel? or does the entire car shake?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Pretty much describes a bad CV joint.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I had a customer who had such bad control arm bushings than the wheel would violently shake at anything above 60km/h. Just putting the car in reverse and then drive would make the wheels move about an inch. I can just imagine what that would've been like in turns

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Funny how we all overlooked what should have been obvious to check first!!!
Lug nuts should never ever be put on with an air ratchet, ever. Okay to remove lug nuts or any nuts. That's what happens when a mechanic get's lazy, to lazy to get is torque ratchet out.

Fastner tightening specification is 100 ft/lbs for a good reason.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I felt extremely stupid when he said it was lug nuts:(

Sent from my HTC Desire using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I know I went
I figured he at least check the lugs before posting.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Your not and idiot but you threw us for loop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.