Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2005 cobalt ls coupe and my stock stereo sucks. i want to keep as much of a stock look as possible and put all the work under the hood but still want a new stereo... i don't feel like buying an actual deck and getting the kit that i need to wire it and all that nonsense so i was wondering if it was possible for me to use a newer cobalt's stereo deck such as an 06 cobalt or even an ss cobalt's stereo?

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
You can buy one from the dealership...but if you buy one off someone it will probably be locked so you need to get it unlocked somehow.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
You can use the 06 ss stereo but not the 07-10 radios. I btw am gonna try to switch the 06 to 07 with iPod input

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i really want a direct connect with the ipod because broadcasting over the stereo is lame and reduces sound quality... and what do you mean the stereo's are locked??

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Im not sure Ive just read a thread before saying someone bought a stock head unit off someone else and it wouldnt work because it was locked...maybe a theft protection type thing im not sure but he ended up taking it to the dealership!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmmm so i would basically have to go to a dealership is what it comes too because of the theft protection....

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Welcome. And waste of time and money to do all that. Too many threads exactly like this one. Go aftermarket for the looks, sound quality, etc. and you will never look back. Screw the stock radio. nothing beats aftermarket!!!
PS there's tons of DIY stereo installs on here just search the forum it,s really not too complexe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.