Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Literally trying to wire my new radio before I head up to Formula Drift today, like, soon lol. Ok so there is an extra harness that I am not sure where it goes (step 2)

From what I can understand, this is how it works. Plug harness that came with the aftermarket radio into the back of the radio. Plug the Metra 2103 harness into the stock GM radio harness. Crimp wires from the aftermarket harness into the Metra harness.

*Now here is the issue I'm having!!!* There are 2 harness that went into my stock radio... One big blue one with lots of wires, and then a small gray one with 3 wires (green, brown and tan) where do I put this second, small gray harness?

here is the back of my aftermarket Kenwood KDC255u stereo. No extra plug for the small harness, just a plug for it's aftermarket harness. Wtf.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Do you have steering wheel controls or XM radio?

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
But you do have them right? If so, that's probably the plug for them or the plug for XM radio if you have that. I wouldn't worry too much about that plug.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a ton, just confirmed it is the XM plug. So I can just stuff it in the back of the stereo and leave it there? Don't need to do anything to it, right?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Which EXACT fuse do I connect the pink aftermarket Accessory wire into, that came seperately with my Metra 2103 harness ? There is a red wire coming out of the aftermarket stereo, do I connect the pink and red, then clamp it to a fuse in the fuse box?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
It's been a long time since I've wired audio, but there may be pins you won't use in your aftermarket harness. Unless I'm late to the party and missing something glaringly obvious, you should need to mess with fuses.

Essentially, you solder/cap the wires from your Metra harness to the corresponding wires on the new HU harness. Can you post the wiring diagram that came with your new HU or tell us what model? It should list what each wire is.

If you're using the Metra 2103-1, the pink wire should be the GMLAN, so there should be a corresponding wire for the new stereo wiring harness if it's to be used. The red is probably the B+.

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 PM ----------

Okay, my bad. I looked back and found your stereo model. You're correct. Your switched power must be run separately. Use an add-a-fuse and try #23, which is your radio fuse. I suppose you could also use the 20A spare, #21.

I'm pretty sure that pink wire can just be capped off and tucked away. Just an FYI in case you haven't, disconnect your (-) battery until you're ready to test.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. Got everything worked out. All hooked up, looks and sounds awesome. Will post pictures after I get the new radio bezel to tie it all in : )

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.