Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a little searching maybe I didn't search enough but what is needed to install a new face for the radio, which parts and typically how much do they cost?

thanks

·
Registered
3,229 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the original silver stock radio and i want to get an aftermarket 1, i didnt make that clear in my original message

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I have the original silver stock radio and i want to get an aftermarket 1, i didnt make that clear in my original message
look @ the 2 links I posted above, it has been covered quite in depth. Message me if you stil have questions.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
294 Posts

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
im very hesitant to replace my stock deck because of how big it is, i'm trying to avoid the massive gaps!
there is a dash kit that allows you to have a single din, but with the lower part as a pocket. Check it out on crutchfield they should have it. No gaps and will look stock besides aftermarket single din unit.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I actually found 2 double din radios I might be purchasing, good prices 1 is the Amazon.com: JVC KW-XG500 Double DIN In-Dash CD Receiver with Front AUX Input J-Bus Expandable (Black): Electronics and the other Amazon.com: Sony WXGT77UI Double Din CD Player with USB 1-wire for iPod and other USB Devices (Black): Electronics but what i was wondering is what else do i need to purchase besides the stereo?
don't really like either of them. Why don't you try and find a decent cheap double din screen instead with ipod capability and everything? it is boxing week. Saw mine on sale for like half price here and it's a great unit!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bboy what unit are you talking about and how much? i am kinda trying to not spend so much because i need 4 new tires at the moment byut since i just got sirius radio and the stock cobalt radio doesnt have an aux spot becuz the fm transmitter just sucks on sirius

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
the expensive harness allows you to keep all your warning sounds and dummy dingers. if you get the cheap harness you lose the blinker sound, the sound it makes when you dont have your seatbelt on, and also the sound it makes when you door/trunk is open. you also lose the controls on the steering wheel. other than that the stereo itself will function properly. i'd suggest you buy your stereo from Crutchfield because it'll come with the wiring harness AND detailed install instructions.

edit:
i'm not sure if you lose Onstar with the cheap harness, i dont have onstar

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
now that i Know that , the reason is i have sirius radio and its using the built in fm transmitter it comes with and its garbage and is static, any ideas other than a new system?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
now that i Know that , the reason is i have sirius radio and its using the built in fm transmitter it comes with and its garbage and is static, any ideas other than a new system?
sorry, i'm not quite sure exactly what you're asking?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i have siruis radio and there is alot of static comming from the stereo, any tips or ideas to improve this? and how do u kno if ur cobalt is equipped with xm radio or not?

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
If your Cobalt is equipped with XM, you would have the XM antenna, and a button on your stock radio that says XM. If you have Sirius, I would recommend getting an aftermarket H/U regardless.

As for the wiring harness, not to sure on your car, it might have the GM-LAN-03 system on it, to which the harness is $90 at BB. You can even get the install kit from them for a single DIN deck. If you have your heart set on Dual, you may have to order the kit (I did with mine), and even then, the kit needs to be modified a little bit to make your radio fit in it. (the H/U cutout is slightly smaller than it needs to be, so you need to shave the mount and the radio will slide in).

But in conclusion, I still recommend just getting a different deck, not only will you get the performance you are looking for from Sirius, but you will also have MUCH better sound quality as aftermarket radios usually put out about 45-50watts a channel and the stock one only puts out about 10-15watts, and the premium is only 125 watts total. (25 watts per channel). Just some insight. :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
what do you mean you have to shave the double din kit? when i replaced mine it slid in no problem at all. and make sure you check with best buy about the harness and kit, i know when i bought my head unit and they said that they didnt carry the harness or kit for the cobalt. that might have just been my best buy though, but if not crutchfield has them for our cars. other than that, i completely agree. the aftermaket deck is a necessity for any serious audio upgrades.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.