Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm new here. Nice to meet everybody. Anyways, I have an 06 cobalt, and would rather not pay to get a new wiring harness to hook up my aftermarket CD player.. WHAT DO I DO?

·
Registered
49 Posts
You can hack into the factory harness, but I would strongly suggest you don't. It's more of a PITA to reach into the dash and try to splice wires together than just buying the wiring harness adapter and doing it on a table then just plugging it in. Then later you won't be kicking yourself if you have to replace the stereo and you have to hack off even more of the short factory wires.

Take the time to do it right the first time and you won't have any issues later. Splice together the wire harness adapter and stereo harness, then solder each joint. I use crimp caps and high quality 3M super 33+ electrical tape. Cheap electrical tape will peal off over time. Some people use heat shrink tubing over the splices but I like butt connectors for not having to heat them.

Nothing sucks like your stereo wires coming loose and blowing fuses when you're driving and need to be somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
You can hack into the factory harness, but I would strongly suggest you don't. It's more of a PITA to reach into the dash and try to splice wires together than just buying the wiring harness adapter and doing it on a table then just plugging it in. Then later you won't be kicking yourself if you have to replace the stereo and you have to hack off even more of the short factory wires.

Take the time to do it right the first time and you won't have any issues later. Splice together the wire harness adapter and stereo harness, then solder each joint. I use crimp caps and high quality 3M super 33+ electrical tape. Cheap electrical tape will peal off over time. Some people use heat shrink tubing over the splices but I like butt connectors for not having to heat them.

Nothing sucks like your stereo wires coming loose and blowing fuses when you're driving and need to be somewhere.
I agree!

·
Say What again!
6,033 Posts
Absolutely agreed here as well.

Any time I do a head unit install, I buy the harness that interfaces with the factory connector, so I can do all of my connections outside the vehicle.

And that way, if one needs to return to the stock unit for, whatever reason, you can.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You do know that your going to loose all of your chimes, onstar and your dimmer without a GM LAN converter

---------- Post added at 11:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 PM ----------

Oh and your steering wheel controls if you have them

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.