Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I thought I fixed it, but it came back and haunts me while driving. I replaced the manifold-downpipe gasket, sealed it nice and snug. I took out the header and inspected it, no visible cracks found at all.

I did however notice that where the manifold bolts up to the engine, I used a brand new OEM gasket, that where on cylinder 1 exits, the gasket is square and the header comes down at a curve, exposing the gasket. I can also check on the header a "dummy" o2 sensor was put into the hole and may try for my o2 wrench and ensure that its secured well in there without stripping it.

Any suggestions? Go back to stock manifold perhaps?

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
well switching back to stock manifold and seeing if the problem persists will rule out the manifold for you

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just torqued every bolt down, found 2 studs that were loose. So I tend to believe that the header-engine gasket is ka-put! It sounds like its dead on where that cylinder 1 is on exhaust port. Looks like I have something to do tomorrow besides tonight's Z32 (fairlady twin turbo) work :(

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
its all worth the headache, just in case anyone else has that problem

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, I will get to it tomorrow morning, picking up part in a few minutes for the new gasket and going back to stock, tsk tsk ;(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.