Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still waiting on the 2nd notice to go get my cobalt fixed. My first notice came in April! My power steering only works for about 30 seconds to 1 minute each time I start it and then it goes out. I have a manual transmission so this is a real problem driving aorund town where I shift alot. My son will be taking this car to college in August so I would REALLY like to have it fixed before then. ANyone have any idea how long before those 2nd notices go out! THis is ridiculous. What good is announcing a recall if you aren't actually fixing it!?

·
Registered
498 Posts
i ask the service writer just about every day. they're still "stocking parts" funny it takes less time to build and distribute the cruze than it does to hand out a few power steering units.
I know I interviewed for a job with Nexteer that makes units like this. They did not get the Cobalt job and the guy told me that GM learned the hard way. I don't remember the company that GM went with for this steering unit but I think they might have a hard time picking up another GM contract.

They must be having issues getting the replacement motors from this company. I was at the dealership for my shift indicator not moving and they said they ordered a steering motor for me even though I didn't get the 2nd post card yet. They also ordered a part for the shift indicator so that's not fixed yet either.

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
It sucks to keep hearing stories like this one. Chevy is dragging it's feet and again are screwing their customers who support them. Fortunately for me I made them correct the issue befor I drove the car off the lot, the salesman said in a couple weeks you will get a letter in the mail for the powersteering recall and we can then set up an appt. for you to bring it in. I said no I will sign the papers and drive the car off the lot when the issue is fixed. He said that was not possible, so i left. He called 5 mins later and told me to come back and that they were pulling the car into the garage as we speak. Issue fixed.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
It sucks to keep hearing stories like this one. Chevy is dragging it's feet and again are screwing their customers who support them. Fortunately for me I made them correct the issue befor I drove the car off the lot, the salesman said in a couple weeks you will get a letter in the mail for the powersteering recall and we can then set up an appt. for you to bring it in. I said no I will sign the papers and drive the car off the lot when the issue is fixed. He said that was not possible, so i left. He called 5 mins later and told me to come back and that they were pulling the car into the garage as we speak. Issue fixed.
funny how they suddenly had the means to fix your car right there and then

kinda like when i couldn't negotiate a deal for our first car w/ the dealer (he claimed his manager wouldn't let him go below sticker price), so we walked off the lot. 10 mins down the road we get a call from the dealer, and suddenly he could negotiate the price we were asking.

i'm waiting for my 2nd notice too, and getting tired of waiting. prob gonna call the dealer this week about getting it done even tho we don't have that 2nd letter.

·
Registered
100 Posts
i just took my car in because i got the recall letter in the mail.. took it in didnt even make an appt.. an hour later i drove outta there with a working power steering! whats this 2nd notice crap?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I am still waiting on the 2nd notice to go get my cobalt fixed. My first notice came in April! My power steering only works for about 30 seconds to 1 minute each time I start it and then it goes out. I have a manual transmission so this is a real problem driving aorund town where I shift alot. My son will be taking this car to college in August so I would REALLY like to have it fixed before then. ANyone have any idea how long before those 2nd notices go out! THis is ridiculous. What good is announcing a recall if you aren't actually fixing it!?
I got my second letter about 4 weeks ago & and it took them 3 weeks to get the part in. But it sounds like they might be fixing the older 'balts first (I have an 05). What year is your car??

Also, have you called a dealer (or GM customer service) and told them of your immediate problem? They might fix it for you without the second letter if you tell them you're having serious problems.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
i just took my car in because i got the recall letter in the mail.. took it in didnt even make an appt.. an hour later i drove outta there with a working power steering! whats this 2nd notice crap?
the first letter spelled out that a 2nd letter would be arriving when it is 'your turn' to take in your balt for the recall. but it seems that 2nd letter is not reaching a lot of people still.

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Given they made over 1,000,000 Cobalts I would imagine it's taking time to get them all done.

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 PM ----------

Are all cobalts getting recalled because i got a 06 and i haven't gotten a letter yet?
From what I read it was supposed to be all of them made before Feb. 2009

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
GO TO YOUR DEALER! My dealer is replacing them everyday. The initial plan is to get the oldest/higher milage vehicles first, as they are the most likely to exhibit this problem. All dealers would be overwhelmed if every Cobalt/G5 owner got the same letter the same day.
In your case, the problem is there. Make an appointment immediatly and get the recall done at no cost. Do not wait for another notice. You shouldn't drive or allow anyone (routinely) drive that car until it's repaired.

·
Rocket Power
711 Posts
No second letter here either...but I hope it comes soon, I have a few other minor issues for warranty. I'd like to do it all at once.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't know about any of this second letter stuff either. I got mine fixed 2 months ago. And I wasn't even having the power steering problem.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I thought my cobalt was falling prey to this problem over the weekend because my power steering was cutting out and/or noticeably weakening. I ended up changing out the fuse and that seems to have fixed it. (hopefully) I have my recall notice next to me now so Ill prob call them about it anyways.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Dont take any C**p

... I said no I will sign the papers and drive the car off the lot when the issue is fixed. He said that was not possible, so i left. He called 5 mins later and told me to come back and that they were pulling the car into the garage as we speak. Issue fixed.
HA! Good for you!!

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
They are fixing them as we speak. they just have to do it a few at a time like 423 said. I work at a chevy dealer and we have been installing them as fast as GM ships the new motors. they only ship 2 or 3 at a time so it takes forever to replace them all. I have not had mine replaced yet but I'm not worried about it yet since I'm having no problems. I figure I'll let this motor burn up for a while then get a new one when I have higher miles lol.

·
Registered
74 Posts
So, to be clear, my car was built in June of this year and I took delivery the day after it arrived at the lot (7/3/2010). So mine should be okay?

·
Registered
611 Posts
Will they fix my power steering if I have the zzp stage 2 turbo kit?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.