Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought an Antenna X and tried to install it, but my stock antenna snapped off. It left the stud in the base. What can I do?

·
Registered
318 Posts
well you could carefully use a Dremel tool to make a slot in the stud, then use a flathead screwdriver to get it out, but there is probably a better way.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Are you sure it "snapped off". The cobalt antenna has a female end that screws on to a base stud.

The base has either a 6 MM or 7 MM stud depending on year made.

A replacement antenna will need to have a "female" end -- threaded hole.

·
Registered
62 Posts
wow.....that is all i got......................

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, it snapped off. When we tried to unscrew it we found out it was all rusty and whatever. The person who had it before must have knocked it out once and decided to glue it - Not a very good seal so water got in there and ruined it.

We were thinking about either drilling and threading or getting a dremel type tool for it. If anything I can just call a dealership and get a new part. The Antenna X has different screws that came with it and the one should just screw in, but obviously it wasn't that easy. Haha.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Sounds like your going to need to get a new base. I've run across a couple of Cobalts that had antennas that were hard as heck to get off. I've even seen the inside mount get twisted off and still wasn't able to separate the antenna from the base -- three people holding the base inside the trunk too! Either it was cross threaded at the factory or corrosion "fused" the parts together. Bummer!

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea, I've decided to just order a new base. We only have standard measurement and we need metric, so it'll just be easier to order a new base. I'll have a short antenna in the end which will be nice though! :)

JELIZA added 3 Minutes and 25 Seconds later...

Every car has something screwy I guess. Wasn't my fault the person before me f'ed it up! I just have to fix it now... (*eye roll*)

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do have pix. They're in the show off your cobalt thread under the cobalt owners lounge(not of my antenna though).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.