Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happened twice with me. Both times it was after filling up my gas tank. I don't think that matters but its the only time I drive it for a while, cut it off, then start it up again. I had to sit for about 30 min before it started again. Could it be running hot and what can I do to fix it if it is?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think there were any codes, but I also don't know where to look for one. I also don't know what a mil light is. The engine didn't turn over. All the normal lights and everything else came on. My brother called a Chevy Rep (I think) and they said that the coolant temp should be below 180. Mine was at 196.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the oil light comes on but the oil was changed recently. I wasn't here so I don't know if it really did get changed. Could that affect it? I'm going to get the oil changed on Monday anyway but want to make sure it isn't something else.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think there was a click. Last time, after my 2nd time trying, the car started but cut right back off.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
definitely sounds like your evap purge solenoid to me. i am pretty sure it will throw a mil light though. have someone pull the codes. it should come upwith a p0507, p0496, p2135, and a few other throttle position sensor codes. i assume the idle was a mess when it started?

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
Hasn't stalling while driving and not starting randomley, been a problem for years with the cobalt. This is my first Cobalt but I have heard of this many times over the last 3-4 years. Mainly that people are driving down the highway and that their car stalls and then does not want to restart.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
he's saying it happened after he filled up though. if the evap purge is stuck open, it will release excess air into the system, and right after fueling the air will be polluted by gasoline fumes making combustion even harder. i mean, i could be wrong it's not like i'm there looking at the car.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
OP...do you have an AutoZone nearby? Go to one and ask them to check your car for codes. They usually do it for free. Best to learn how to check for codes yourself -- check out their scanners and watch them when they hook theirs up under the dash. Best to have "peace of mind" with todays cars -- they all use the same OBD II diagnostics (mandated) -- foreign and domestic cars.

I recommend you get a scanner/code reader with an erase feature.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.