Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Strange Sound (Wheel Bearings?)

This one will probably be hard to diagnose in a post but I'll try anyway. Over the last week I've noticed a strange sound. It doesn't seem to be dependent on RPMs. More like speed. I notice it from about 30 MPH and up. Mainly with the windows up. Sounds like it _might_ be coming from the driver's side front. It doesn't sound like a metallic sound. I don't hear the sound bouncing off of the Jersey Barrier while I'm in the high speed lane. Best way I can describe it is... some of you might have used clothes pins to attach playing cards to your bike when you were a kid. They would be between the spokes and would make noise as you rode. It doesn't exactly sound like this but you get the idea.

I'm at a loss for this one. Haven't come across a sound like this before.

Car has 79k on the odometer.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
does it change if you turn left or right?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Output shaft bearing or wheel bearing if it increases with speed. Wheel bearing will sound like a jet engine when you're siting in the back of the plane. Axles don't usually make any sound at high speed. Output shaft bearing will usually be noisy all the time but make more of a clicky sound. What happens when you brake? Wheel bearing usually go quiet when you brake.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Bring it in where they have a hoist, so they can put a stethoscope and listen to the drivetrain while it's running. It might be an exit bearing so don't wait too long.

Unless you have a screw stuck in a tire hitting pavement at every pass. lol

·
Registered
563 Posts
Cv joint is no good. Wheel bearing if it changes as you turn because it changes the load on the bearing

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
normally a cv joint only makes a sound when you turn the wheel. when youre driving straight it shouldn't make the sound.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doesn't a CV joint usually make a click, click, click sound? I'm starting to think it's the wheel bearing.

I believe GM warranties the powertrain for 100k miles. I wonder if that would be covered? I no longer have a garage or air tools so it would be a pain to have to sit in the driveway and replace it.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
CV joint is more of a snapping noise when turning sharp. Should be covered under powertrain warranty if you have an extended . GM girls might chime in.....

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought the car used in 2009. Looking at paperwork that came with the car. It has a GM Powertrain warranty that ends 12/24/13 or at 100,013 miles.

Found this info on a website for covered Powertrain items -

Final drive housing, all internal lubricated parts, axle shafts and bearings, constant velocity joints, axle housing, propeller shafts, universal joints, wheel bearings, locking hubs, front differential actuator, supports, front and rear hub bearings, seals and gaskets.

This makes my weekend a lot better if it's the case (I believe it is).

---------- Post added at 11:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 AM ----------

Just called my local Chevy dealer. The car is going in Wednesday morning. Hopefully it's that or something else covered under warranty. If not, there is a $99.00 diagnostic charge. It's powertrain though. First time having a car with a bad wheel bearing but everything that I've read points to that. I wonder if they will replace my pads/rotors cheaper with everything apart? Probably not :)

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I wonder if they will replace my pads/rotors cheaper with everything apart? Probably not :)
Dream on buddy...

But you can do that yourself for less than $200 that's if you have to replace everything.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How long do the wheel bearings usually hang in there after they start making noise? Seems to be louder than when i noticed it last week. I have about 300 miles of driving to do in the next two days. Don't want to be on the highway and say "hey, that wheel kind of looks like mine!".

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
They can last a long time like it can seize tomorrow. The gamble is in your favor though.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
my g/f put over 20k km on a bad wheel bearing and I never replaced it. You have plenty of time after you start noticing it

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
Hi massguy!

Sorry I didn't chime in sooner. In the future I can always look up warranty information for you. Please send me a private message if you have any other questions. Let me know what happens with your vehicle repairs.

Jackie
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
my g/f put over 20k km on a bad wheel bearing and I never replaced it. You have plenty of time after you start noticing it
I never win Powerball so with my luck I'd have a total failure and the wheel would either lock or depart the vehicle. Maybe I'll be good for a few hundred miles.

Was able to do a little slalom type driving tonight. I get noise while driving straight and to the left. It quiets down a little while cutting back to the right.

Another thing that I noticed, it seems to be tied in with the windows because I don't hear it when I put them down.

Just kidding! :)

Hi massguy!

Sorry I didn't chime in sooner. In the future I can always look up warranty information for you. Please send me a private message if you have any other questions. Let me know what happens with your vehicle repairs.

Jackie
Chevrolet Customer Care
Thank you very much Jackie! I'm sure you have plenty of sites/sections and threads to monitor. Don't worry about coming in a couple of days after I posted. I appreciate your response though.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
so your right front wheel bearing is probably bad.

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
Well in the future I will be here...and much sooner. Thanks for understanding. I hope you are having a great week. Happy Monday!

Jackie
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The dealer took care of it yesterday. The car was ready to go before lunchtime and everything is all set!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.